What colour shall I paint our shop?

Just looking for opinions.

Corner terraced shop.

I want it to look nice and to some degree notable but not 'f### me what have they done!'.

It's brick front, stone sides*. Larger stones/lintels around door/windows, stone gutters.

I thought a slate grey around doors, windows and gutter,

And perhaps turquoise or sage or something for the larger areas of brick/stone.

*Bottom half is pebbledash, can't decide whether to leave that as-is.
Reply to
R D S

Ask the Conservation Officer in your local planning authority.

Reply to
mechanic

Or look around similar streets until you find something you like. So much depends on the shades of the stone and brick. And also the type of area.

Reply to
newshound

Sage seems subdued for my taste. Slate grey too, is a bit dark.

Would soft yellow flat areas with mid-grey relief work? (Not like a wasp or bee!)

Reply to
Pamela

Take a photo of the front and photoshop (or equivalent) the colour scheme. IMO avoid green colours - think baby sick/poo. Think about how the colours will look on a miserable wet winters day. Perhaps think about a subtle LED up-lighting at anytime the shop is open during the darker hours.

Are any of the neighbouring properties been painted - if so chose something different by way of colour.

Reply to
alan_m

Have you asked your council, sometimes there are guidelines and in some cases definite rules if its an older property. What is it selling? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Exactly it may be you cannot paint bare brick without it being rendered or pebble dashed. Some parts of Kingston cannot even put in new shop that look different to the old ones. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

well that depends on what the shop 'sells' (if anything).

lurid black, purple and pink if it is a tattoo parlour, ... etc

Reply to
Andrew

Paint all the signage out of focus, that should help drum-up trade :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

Greys tend to create an image of something that is not particularly exciting, so may not be a good choice. Black would probably be a better colour for small highlight areas.

Greens are good colours for a shop as people tend to associate them with value for money. However, sage can be a bit insipid. Sea green might be a better choice without being too bright.

Reply to
nightjar

googling "color purchase psychology" gets some hits

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Well it's a 'shop' property, but we have our workshop in it so it doesn't retail.

I did the woodwork (windows and door) of our oticians in black and purple the other year, I was very pleased with it!

Reply to
R D S

We don't sell anything directly, and we're not in a conservation area or similar such.

Reply to
R D S

I'd just feel dizzier then when I got there in a morning.

Reply to
R D S

Do what del boy did in OFAH and use some florescant tunnel paint.

Reply to
whisky-dave

But what do you work? Chop Harleys may demand a different colour scheme from hand-built kitchens.

Not the highest of contrast ratios; I'm surprised if people don't wander in thinking it's an undertaker's. They tend to like black and purple.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Nice one one the side of this place

ARW

Seems to be quite widespread.

and one in a hearse

Taylor told the Ipswich Star: ?I thought it would be a good idea because of the type of people that are often at funerals. There are a lot of elderly people who attend, either for friends or family members, and it is an emotional and stressful time for an awful lot of people. ?They can also be big events especially when it is for a young person when funerals can see up to 400 mourners. Emotions play a big part which can make funerals a high risk place for people who could become unwell.?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Specsavers ?.

Reply to
Andrew

And here

"People will be directed to the Park Independent Funeral Home by 999 operators,"

Central England Co-operative has installed the devices across its entire trading area in everywhere from food stores to funeral homes to petrol filling stations.

32 at funeral homes, one at the Society?s coffin factory, one at Bretby Crematorium and one at the Business Support Centre, in Lichfield.
Owain
Reply to
spuorgelgoog