What shall I do with it?

I have just been given a standard sized (8 or so seater) table. The wood mostly is solid Tasmanian Oak. Tassie Oak is what many pieces of 'fine' Aussie furniture was (and some still are) made from. I say 'mostly' as some of the parts under the table are of cheap pine and to make it worse the construction is crude and artless - screws everywhere.The top is made of three solid boards with beautiful grain. I don't really need a table - I have two too many now! So what shall I do with it, dismantle it and wait for the muse to strike? Or clean it up and sell it?

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

Assuming you can't sell it as a table, I would hold onto it as wood. But if you sell it as lumber, don't clean it up. For all you know, the buyer wants to do something entirely different with the wood and your cleaning has ruined it for him.

Reply to
Toller

You already know the answer...lol, pull her apart, bin the screws, place timber in a corner, and wait. The word will come as to the purpose.

O, and Happy New Year,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Richardson

You already know the answer.

Make a new bottom that is up to your specs, attach that beautiful top, then set a price in your mind.

Now double that price and sell it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Fri, Dec 29, 2006, 4:25am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mekon) doth plaintively query: So what shall I do with it, dismantle it and wait for the muse to strike? Or clean it up and sell it?

I always have problems with posts of this type. You've got to ask someone to tell you what to do? If that's what you need you should have asked your mother. Next time you might consider asking for "suggestions" as to what to do, rather than instructions.

Personally, if I didn't know anyone that needed a table, to give it to (in that case I'd probably clean it up first), I imagine I'd take it apart for the wood. There, see, I'm not telling you what to do with it, just what "I" probably would do in a similar case.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Next time you're in Burbank, drop it off at my place and have a beer or Scotch Whisky if you prefer.

:)

First rule of woodworking; Never throw away a good piece of wood!

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

Tasmanian Oak is highly toxic. You should dismantle the table and ship the top to me for proper disposal.

Reply to
Just Wondering

(snip)

A touch on the hard side...I am not about to take instructions from anyone without some sort of legal basis for it. Too old and stubborn for that.. The post was a (perhaps too subtle) attempt at what I have seen called here 'a drive by' showing off my good fortune on thsi occasion.

I guess I'll have to read more of other's 'drive bys' before I get the hang of it.

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon