How do I repair broken branch on Oak tree?

I was just cutting down large pine tree in yard and it fell into my beautiful Oak tree and broke branch....It is maybe 90% broke. can I put splint of some kind? Any advise appreciated.

Reply to
cheapdave

Maybe, certainly possible. If the cambium layer is not completely severed all around, it has a chance. Keep the area clean while it heals--be very patient it will take some months.

Reply to
Phisherman

I doubt that it is worth the effort. You don't say how old it is or give any indication of diameter. Up to an inch you could save it possibly by splinting, but you would have to do it every year for several years until the bark has grown thick enough to support it. If it much thicker than that you would have to be desperate to want to save it and I doubt that there is anything you could really do about it. You could try a tree surgeon, but remember surgeaons like to cut.

Bigal

Reply to
Bigal

Years, if it makes it.

Reply to
D. Staples

wrote

What size tree and what size branch? With a relatively young tree it will likely put out a couple of new branches at that spot. With a large tree the branch will probably be much too heavy so will be difficult to support until it heals... regardless, if the tree is otherwise healthy why look for trouble by making a place for disease to start... I'd carefully remove the branch.

Reply to
brooklyn1

No matter what the damage one can always bolt,wrap, tape, tie etc things together. The sooner the better think a broken human limb. May not work but give it a shot anyway. Sort of like root layering a gift.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

Went ahead and cut the branch...was heavy and difficult to support.. The tree is about 18' high and about 8" trunk. Broken branch was at a "Y" in 1

1/2" branch. Should I put paint or something on it?
Reply to
cheapdave

Do not apply anything. It will heal over if kept clean.

Reply to
Phisherman

|_ And be sure the cut is slanted thusly: / |

Reply to
brooklyn1

The break in branch was at a Y, it split in middle, so the split is about 4" long in a 1 1/2" branch.

Reply to
cheapdave