What are biscuit joints?

Type "biscuit joint" into Google images and the first and third pictures will give you a good idea

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Better still, the first hit on Google web search has a video presentation which is rather good.

Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

No, but I sometimes get the wrong URL.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

John Schmitt wrote in news:1103 snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

Do they always crumble? :D

Reply to
Sneezy

A wood jointing system using beech biscuits and a machine that is, in effect, a plunging circular saw.

The pieces are aligned, and marked, then slots are cut accurately in each piece.

There are three main sizes of biscuit. These are glued in using a water based glue and the piece is clamped. The water swells the biscuit, locking it into place.

There is lateral alignment along the line of the groove but not orthogonally to it.

The technology was invented by Lamello and they produce the best machines for it, in addition to a variety of other components such as hinges which can use it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The Quicktime video is rather better quality than the Real .....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

and twice the size - important for those of use who can't get broadband yet

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Actually, having nosed around the site, I reckon it is a very useful source for woodworking in general. Worth FAQing? The video clips are enlightening.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

details..... ;-)

None of the "broadband" offerings are broadband.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yep.

Actually Taunton stuff is pretty good in general.

I get Fine Woodworking magazine from them.

August Home Publishing is also good and produce Woodsmith and Shopnotes magazines.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Andy Hall writes

Rough!

That's why things fall to bits easily these days.

I couldn't see what he was doing in the Realtime but it was clearer in the quicktime.

If you use them properly and appropriately and with the right glue, the joints are very strong

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I thought a biscuit joint was an Amsterdam establishment where they serve coffee and digestives laced with cannabis (I'll get my coat now, shallI?)

Reply to
Paper2002AD

Illegal cigarettes made of crushed cream crackers and skunk,.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I looked at the link to

on their website.

Interesting piece of kit.

Oh yes they are! Go to uk.telecom.broadband and read the arguments!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I don't really mind what most of the contributors in that NG say. The quality of posts is not high and boringly repetitive.

80% of them seem to be about arguing the toss with BT about the distance from the exchang and the others are about how to make a cheap crappy router work.

The original definition of a broadband network was an RF one based on a CATV infrastructure and able to offer multiple channels of broadcast quality video, telephony and data.

Although the technologies have changed, as far as I am concerned, this represents the gold standard of a multiservice network.

In that sense, the cable TV operators come the closest in terms of service offering but their data offerings are poor as a result of their asymmetric infrastructure and lack of business acument.

The ADSL offerings are a con. These were marketed up the wazoo and the actual offering is crap. There is no way that a 512k 50:1 contended service is going to offer broadcast quality video. It may be able to deliver images of the same quality as John Logie Baird produced, but not broadcasr quality,

The problem is that incompetent marketeers have been allowed to oversell what could not be delivered. Coupled with that, the average consumer buys on price and is not willing to pay what it would cost to deliver a true broadband service.

So the crappy marketeers throw marketing money at the issue and convince everybody that anything more than a phone line is "broadband".. .This is a complete crock of shit and if I could be bothered I'd haul their backsides in front of the courts for misrepresentation.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I worked on STM4, STM16 and STM64 That's broadband.

For a private residential consumer 512kbps /is/ broad but it's only relative.

I agree about the marketeers...but most of the argument seems to be at what (low) speed it ceasex to be broadband (e.g. the Tiscali 128K offering)). Technically, anything with multiple channels at different frequencies is broadband. Marketing-wise, it's anything faster than 56K. Politically (your shot I guess) it's a whole lot more. I'm happy with the first definition. But definitely not the second.

Reply to
Bob Eager