Well OT - The apprentice has feally f****d it up this time

Yes - and the state provides a nanny and unlimited help with child care. To allow the mother to go on all those cruises etc. Which the state also pays for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Moi? 43..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where on earth do you get this 'council flat paid for' idea? And the rest of it, come to that?

Really.

Reply to
RJH

Owned, or rented? First shared house I was in when I was 18, first nonshared (assuming gf doesn't count as shared) when I was 25, first owned 27. There was three years of university/parents in between.

What did I have to do for all of those? Nothing apart from earn enough to pay the rent/mortgage. The move from shared to non-shared was largely a matter of personal circumstances, move from rented to owned when I had a stable enough job.

All of them were nicer than what many people get offered for social housing, both in terms of quality of house and location. I wouldn't have wanted the "free" housing you appear to be so jealous of.

Reply to
Clive George

A 16 year old "lone parent" with one child will get, per week,

£57.90 income support £63.94 Child Tax Credit ( £53.46 for each additional child) £20.70 Child Benefit (£13.70 for each additional child)

and rent paid. If parent and/or child is disabled, they'll get more.

Reply to
John J Armstrong

Itcertinly used to be the case. In the 1980s we had a bright, but lazy secretary in our office. Sh decided to "go back home & have a baby - then they will have to give me a flat." She was bright enought to have researched the matter.

Reply to
charles

In the minds of these Mail readers, there are unlimited council flats just waiting for single mothers and immigrants. And they get so much money in benefits that they can live a life of ease.

And no evidence to the contrary will change their beliefs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Those with children do get housed as a priority when it comes to housing ne eds, doesnt mean you'll get a mansion but at least they won't let you sleep on the streets. As I've said there's a reason pubs and other places are ge ting turned into hotlees and/or B&Bs..

But we all know there's no homeless in the UK , just people that can't affo rd the homes, my old schools been knocked down and now flats starting at £350k for a 1 bed in Leyton overlooking the eastway...

Reply to
whisky-dave

What evidence to the contrary are you putting forward? A girl in our old village got pregnant and got a flat, and seemed to think it was SOP to do so. So it happens, whether you like it or believe it or not.

Reply to
Tim Streater

To put that in perspective, rather less than an OAP couple. Perhaps you think them well off too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Many a true word spoken in jest.

Reply to
bert

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

No you just have to accept a caution.

So what's the limit then 17,18,28?

Reply to
bert

peple can't help getting old - they can avoid becoming pregnant.

Reply to
charles

Had a young woman worked for me some time ago., She got married had a bay then separated. She told me later she couldn't believe how much money was pushed at her and at the end of the day when all the bills were paid, all her child's needs were met she had more disposable income than when she was single and working.

Reply to
bert

Dignitas may disagree :-)

Reply to
Clive George

bert scribbled

That's bollocks. If she was doing so well, why was she working for you? Telling you lies, because she knew it would you wind up.

Reply to
Jonno

Tim Streater scribbled

Here we go "old village" and you don't know her personal circumstances. Keep on making things up.

Reply to
Jonno

but then you wouldn't worrry about the size of your pension

Reply to
charles

£142.54 and free rent (up to £87.41 LHA in Barnsley for 2 bedroom) and council tax, probably free school lunches, free school breakfast club, poss ibly a school uniform voucher, free prescriptions/dental/optician.

Which compares to

£154.80 per week (gross) as a 16 year old employee on minimum wage workin g 40 hours per week. On apprentice rate it would be less. And has to pay re nt, council tax, expenses of getting to work, etc.

Just checked and there are several 2 bedroom houses in Barnsley available o n the council housing list.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Perhaps you don't follow the news these days? The housing crisis in many parts of the country?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)