Well OT - pickup trucks

Back in the day it was realised that pick-up trucks could be bought by a company without attracting VAT (and other taxes?) and then double as a company car - as long as they had a carrying capacity of at least 1,000kg.

Cue the luxury crew cab models we see today with names like Animal.

All good stuff, but I'm casting my eye over them at the moment and the UK ones all seem to have engines of 2.5 litres or less. I also remember this from when I was last looking around 2000/20001.

Non-UK versions by the same manufacturers seem to have at least 3.0 litre engines.

Does anyone know why? Funny tax rules perhaps? Initial Google searches get loads of adverts but not much information otherwise.

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David

Probably because they're basically a US vehicle which generally have larger engines. Cheaper fuel and longer distances. Same as with their home grown cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most of the UK ones are turbo diesel. People don't want the

10-14mpg of the 3L+ petrol units. The long wheelbase crew cab plays havoc with the turning circle. Hence the popularity of the short wheelbase versions. The truck bed is too short on many to easily carry 8 x 4 sheets. IME the ride is always crap. I suspect a Transit is a better proposition.

It now seems almost impossible to buy a larger capacity cheap and cheerful petrol engined new car. The Mazda 5 in the US is 2.4L petrol, here it is 2L diesel.

Reply to
Capitol
[30 lines snipped]

Huge

Fails on the cheap and cheerful.

Reply to
Orange

It's all relative. £34,000 for a car with a 5L V8 is "cheap and cheerful" by some standards.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That new mustang is nothing like cheap and cheerful in its class.

Reply to
Orange

Go on then, which new 5L V8 engined cars are cheaper?

Tim

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Apart from the ride quality the knee room for the back seat might suit Toulouse Lautrec but that's about it

Reply to
fred

And it's very uncomfortable and crap to look at, just like the current Camaro.

Reply to
Capitol

All that shows is that there is no car which is cheap and cheerful in that class of car.

All the cheap and cheerful cars are somewhere else.

Reply to
Orange

Not so far as I'm concerned, it doesn't, being both.

Reply to
Huge

Yebbut: the marketing department have done an outstanding job on making it (and its new stablemates) look "cool" and "must-have", so they'll sell enough. How much does does this selling a new Mustang in the UK have to do with the fleetingly transitory low fuel price? I think the car industry -- more than anyone else -- know the value of the adage of there being one born every minute. In fact imho they completely depend on it.

J.

Reply to
Another John
[39 lines snipped]

Nothing. The decision will have been made a long time ago.

Reply to
Huge

What class is that? £34,000 IS cheap for a 5L V8. "Cheerful" is obviously subjective put I think driving one would put a smile on most people's faces.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Quite possibly

Well it looks like an American muscle car, which is what it's meant to look like.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A long time ago US manufacturers realised that a big engine doesn't actually cost much more than a small one. OK there is more metal in a big engine/car/gearbox/transmission but the amount of work is highly similar.

Which is why dirt cheap V8 trucks used to be everywhere.

Muscle cars simply go fast in a straight line.

Drag racing was born in the USA. Go figure

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Further information :-)

Firstly I am looking at Japanese cars imported into NZ - in fact the majority of vehicles in NZ now seem to be Japanese because they are RHD and not valued highly in Japan. Enormous trade in shipping used cars from Japan to NZ.

Secondly the new Japanese cars for sale in NZ have the larger engines.

Thirdly they are also all turbo diesels (apart from the Dodge RAM which is not AFAIK Japanese in manufacture). Hmmm...could be some Holdens as well with big petrol V8s but I am possibly the wrong demographic....

Always possible that the Nissan, Toyota etc. are RHD versions of ones manufactured for the US market - haven't looked at the USA yet.

I just have an abiding memory that all the UK pickup trucks were specified with a 2.5 litre engines when elsewhere in the world you could get the equivalent vehicle with a larger engine. I just can't remeber if it was legislation or "enlightened" marketing.

With reference to the Transit van - one part of the plan is to launch and recover a boat on a trailer from a sandy beach so high ground clearance and 4WD are on the list. I know this doesn't sit with most of the use in the UK where there is a big market for mock off-roaders. Acknowledged that for comfort, economy, load carrying and general on-road manners the Transit is a much better option. However if I am lucky I may get to ford streams on unmade tracks in the middle of nowhere so again high ground clearance and 4WD look a sensible option.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Ford used to do a high ground clearance Transit, the "County" I think.

An example here.

Looks like a handy vehicle. Still just a 2.5L diesel though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I see wodney is out of the box again...