Well it kept me busy over christmas...

Hmm.. A TC tipped blade for my saw costs around £70. How many do you need for a set?

If you are going to run a bench saw with no riving knife or other hand protection, why not just do repetitive cuts at different width settings?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think my set was about £50 - 8" diameter. Two outer blades and 6 or 7 chippers plus shims. The outer blades have scribing teeth and the chippers are flat topped.

Using a standard ATB ( alternate top bevel) sawblade will give an uneven surface when used for trenching - just do a single part depth cut and look at the result. I have had a blade especially flat top ground for such work when I need a clean groove, narrower than a dado set will cut.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

"Before we use any power tools, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury. And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these ? safety glasses."

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Nice work John.

That top photo does not do it justice, let's see it in a proper room setting.

Reply to
Graham.

Yup, there is another project to come for the room its in... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Very nice, way beyond my abilities. I thought the American white oak was the more durable timber. I read (I think about USS Constitution) that the white oak was highly sought after for ship building, to the extent that British ships would sometimes anchor in remote inlets to steal trees.

Reply to
Onetap

It's rather more impressive than my excavations.

I discovered the electric underfloor heating cables with my SDS :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

They are slightly different species IIUC - the European version usually being Quercus Robar or Quercus Patraeous, the common US one being Quercus Alba. The former two are normally classed as "durable" when used for exterior applications in the UK, but I don't think the Alba version is. (to be fair they are pretty similar in most respects, although the Robar version is generally less susceptible to fungal attack).

If you have a look at BS EN 350-2:1994 there is a reasonably extensive table of durabilities for different timber species.

Reply to
John Rumm

It's Quercus robur, and petraea.

OTOH I couldn't have built that table :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Tree rustlers.