Weeping 'Tee' piece

Hello,

I have a Myson towel radiator to which I have added one their electric heating elements (basically a straight, 500W, kettle element) part number MHK500.

To fit this I removed the existing lock shield valve and matching radiator fitting (sorry don't know the proper name - it's the fitting that screws into the rad and has an internal Allen key drive and a captive compression fitting nut that mates with the lockshield valve) from the towel rail and replaced with the Tee fitting supplied with the heater.

I then screwed the original radiator fitting into the horizontal Tee outlet as advised, fitted the element and valve and remade all the pipework to meet it.

Problem: the junction between the Tee and the rad fitting weeps. I have tried no PTFE, some and lots of PTFE to no avail. Currently some of Mr Fernox's magic stuff is keeping the drips at bay, but . . . . .

So, what have I done wrong?

TIA Richard

PS anyone who says that I shouldn't have bought an MHK500 will have to answer to my dad after school!

Richard Savage

Try a paste [*] and hemp joint.

[*] i.e. Boss White, etc.
Reply to
Andy Wade

Thanks Andy,

Is any 'skill' required in making such a joint? Do I use the combination as I would PTFE, i.e. wrap the fibres around the thread and apply Boss White to keep it in place?

What is most anoying is the fact that the fitting didn't leak when it was screwed straight into the towel rad! And all because SHMBO wants a warm bathroom!

Regards Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Almost. Smear some paste into the male thread first, then wind a few strands of hemp around, working clockwise, as you would for PTFE, then smear a little more paste over that. Put some in the female thread too if the joint, when assembled dry, is very loose. Screw together slowly and wipe off any surplus exuded paste.

It will not leak. Paste and hemp joints _never_ fail (IME, YMMV).

Reply to
Andy Wade

hemp joint.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Tsk Tsk. You shouldn't be advocating THAT HERE.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why? (prefixed of course with 'forgive my ignorance, but . . .')

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Try googling on alternaitive meanings of 'hemp' and 'joint'

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry very tired when posting my question. I thought that you were saying something about Boss White and domestic water systems. ;-)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage