Weed It & Hope

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

It won't burn on its own anyway even without inhibitor. It's an oxidising agent.

Reply to
Guy King

Ssshhh, Quiet you fool.......................

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from mike contains these words:

"Wakey WAKEY!"

Reply to
Guy King

Surely the hand of friendship would be more appropriate?

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message , Guy King writes

My preferred system for clearing weedy ground prior to digging is to have a quick whizz round scorching the tops and follow up a week later when the top growth will usually burn. The benefit is that the soil surface can be heated sufficiently to destroy seeds. Best done with a bit of breeze so you can avoid the smoke.

Now that agriculture has been dragged into the EU waste directive, I wonder if we are still allowed to do this?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Both actually. I have made impressive bombs out of chlorate, pre retardant days.

Nitrate is better of course.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Friend and I spent many happy hours blowing things up, including, just before O-levels, a finger and a half of his.

Reply to
Guy King

Ah, the days of my dad asking why all the shiplap on the shed was an inch away from the supporting timbers.

Reply to
EricP

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 22:49:11 +0100, Steve Walker wrote (in article ):

Definitely. At least I didn't say "alis"

Reply to
Andy Hall

We were either more lucky, or more circumspect.

The three closest calls were

1/. Sawing the end off a live .22 round held clamped in a vice.

2/. A rocket with nozzle made of washers Araldited to the end. This performed exactly as a good pipe bomb should, but luckily the shrapnel was pointing away from me..

3/. A small ball bearing cannon using black powder out of some bangers that succeeded in punching a clean hole through the 8mmm thick cast (iron? Mezac?) sign proclaiming the manufactures of the tennis court adjacent to the field we tried it out on....

..after that ne my friend whose idea irt was went very quite and said 'I think that sort of proves it works, probably we don't want to use it again do we?...'

We did continue to use the chlorate though..our favorite was an inverted humbrol paint tin, full of chlorate and sugar, on a dish of the same, lit by a Jetex fuse. These would pop the lids and make fireballs that went up about 15-20 feet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Guy King wrote

Whereabouts? This happened to a friend of mine at school in Birkenhead decades ago.

Reply to
Tim

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

We discovered that Camping Gaz cartridges put bonfires out more than adequately. Provided you don't mind having the bonfire distributed all over the back garden.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Tim" contains these words:

Near Sevenoaks, mid-seventies.

Reply to
Guy King

Is it paved? With what? Glyphosphate (various brands) is good, and should kill most roots in one application, although there are exceptions. Sodium Chlorate is good brushed into crevices of sprinkled on from a watering can (fitted with a rose), *but* you have to look out for any run-off (rains can wash it elsewhere).

Reply to
Chris Bacon