Website design software

This is perhaps stretching the definition of DIY rather a bit, but can anyone recommend an offline (ie not including hosting) drag-and-drop type website designer program? Thanks.

I don't think there is one, but I would happily hear otherwise.
I know this isn't what you were asking but if you want original design and layout then you really need to write it in html/css or have someone do it. If you are going to be happy with templates maybe just altered and adapted a bit then you could use wordpress or GetSimple or some other CMS.
You can do whatever you want offline with a program like wampserver which sets up an apache server environment on your local machine for web development.
Tim w
Tim, thanks for the reply.
I have actually written two websites from scratch:
http://www.merrisonholmes.com which I'm fairly pleased with, and
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk which I'm not.
I'd like to revamp the second into something more stylish and less bland, but the problem is that I've now forgotten most of the techniques I once knew: hence my wondering about an easier approach. The Wix online editor is exactly the sort of thing I have in mind, but unfortunately it comes with built-in hosting facilities which I don't need.
I'll continue searching...

Nice. Here are some of my own pages. Not too hard to do and you can have a blog or a news section and a picture gallery and such stuff if you want. All mobile friendly. www.whittingham.me.uk www.timwhittingham.com http://quantockpetition.org.uk/ You wouldn't have any trouble doing similar. I do it part time professionally, locally in a small way.
Tim W
Tim, I like those, thanks for the links. Were they written from scratch?

The first two are all my own work. The third I was in a hurry and used a free 'theme' so I only had to add the content, basically text and images, and install a news manager plugin and a twitter feed. It's a very quick way of getting a site up and running and super easy to edit, backup, add pages etc in the future.
Tim w
Thanks, Tim.
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:46:35 +0000, Bert Coules wrote:

I've got 1999 on the phone, asking for their questions back... <grin>
Seriously, depending on what you actually want, you're best off just looking at one of the online hosted blog/CMS tools. Wordpress is probably the best known, but there are many many others. They're usually free for basic sites, with ad-removal and domain names as fairly low-cost extras.
Adrian wrote:

All the ones I've seen so far ask for a monthly subscription if you want to get away from the most basic form of design, which invariably includes an ad for their service. While I'd be happy to pay a one-off fee to be able to download the files designed online to my own PC and subsequently upload them to my own existing domains, I don't really want to make a regular payment for a hosting service that I don't actually need.
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 16:50:09 +0000, Bert Coules wrote:

I've had a hosted Wordpress blog live for about three and a half years now. If it wasn't for the domain name and ad removal options, it'd have been 100% zero cost.
https://wordpress.com/
On 10/11/2014 15:46, Bert Coules wrote:

BlueGriffon (freeware) might do what you want.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 10/11/2014 17:04, Bert Coules wrote:

Hi Bert
I've used a few web design programs over the years - but not found anything as easy to use (or as cost-effective) as WYSIWYG Web Builder.
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/
Free demo available to download, lots of templates (if that's the sort of thing you want) and great support. Less than 50 USD or equivalent.
I migrated all of my client websites to this environment about 4 versions ago - and it was the best month I ever spent!
(and, no, sadly I don't get a percentage on sales!)
a different Adrian!
Dear Different Adrian,
Many thanks for the link and the warm recommendation: WYSIWYG Web Builder is now on my list to look into.

If you have web hosting that can run PHP and have a MySQL database (pretty much any paid web host I imagine nowadays) then you can install Wordpress and use that (all free, and the install is normally very easy)
<https://wordpress.org/
Though it really started off as a blogging platform, it can be used for more static sites as well. I wouldn't bother nowadays to roll my own I don't think
There are lots of themes around which can download and play with to your hearts content. Though they can often look very samey and 'Wordpressy' with a bit of effort you can make it look less so.
If you want to have a play and see how it works set up one here:
<https://wordpress.com/
--
Chris French

Thanks, Chris. Now on the list (which is growing longer by the minute).
Chris,
I seem to have run into an early hurdle with Wordpress. The download and unzipping went fine, but when I try to run wp-admin/install.php, my computer (running Windows 7) doesn't want to play and says it doesn't recognise the file type. Since I can display php files in Firefox with no problems at all, this rather threw me - as did the fact that neither Firefox nor any other browsers appear in the "select a program" list.
Any thoughts? Thanks!
Sorry - a correction. Internet Explorer *does* appear in the list, but Firefox definitely does not. I never use IE and would prefer not to in this instance if there's any alternative.
On 10/11/2014 15:46, Bert Coules wrote:

I seem to recall NetObjects Fusion being recommended as a fairly good point and click site builder:
http://netobjects.com/
--
Cheers,

John.