Website design software

"T i m" wrote:

Thanks for that. I'll check it out in the morning.
T i m wrote:

I've been looking at this and it seems very good. I'm going to try the free older version, but I'm slightly concerned that the site lists Internet Explorer as a system requirement: I have IE but never use it, preferring Firefox. Well, I'll see what happens.
On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:36:39 -0000, "Bert Coules"

Serifs

the free

Internet

preferring

You don't need IE. Older versions give you the option of previewing in IE, that's all. I use it a lot.
Lawrence wrote:

I've been playing with the free version and finding it very good, if perhaps over-complicated for my fairly simple needs. At the moment, I prefer it to the other offline programs I've sampled.
On 10/11/2014 15:46, Bert Coules wrote:

It's strongly template driven, but I've been using iWeb for a while, and find it OK. Virtually no learning curve, so ideal for my use - monthly updates.
Only of use if you use a Mac, obviously.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 11/11/2014 07:14, RJH wrote:

It also has (or at least had - unless they have made big improvements recently) a habit of creating code that is not standards compliant, and that only renders well in safari.
--
Cheers,

John.

I agree entirely. I never upload new pages until I have got them exactly as I require, locally. I really cannot imagine adding or updating 'live'.
--
Graeme

Just because it's on a remote server doesn't mean it has to be the live site.
Not that I'm saying there is anything wrong it doing it locally.
--
Chris French

Chris French wrote:

Quite, a development version hosted remotely is an especially good idea for collaborative exercises. But if only local access is required, hosting it locally can be a lot more convenient. I use quite a lot of development tools on my local system that wouldn't be tolerated on the run-of-the-mill hosting services I use.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

+1
--
Graeme

In part it's probably been driven by changing ways of accessing email.
e.g not long ago we had a couple of computers in the house, and would normally read email on those. Collecting via pop3 and storing it locally.
Nowadays, as well as more computers, we have smartphones and are accessing email via different devices, all over the place (Nowadays I normally read emails on my phone, and often write there as well, unless it;s longer and more complicated, or happen to be at the computer.
So I use IMAP for accessing my mail, - and that requires emails to be stored on the remote server. I do still run a client locally, to download and store emails in a local archive. But in reality I rarely accessing it using that. I find on the computer, I'll tend to use the web client instead.
And of course, lots of people use email services such as Gmail, Hotmail (as was) etc. andon't ever download locally anyway.
--
Chris French

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:36:39 -0000, "Bert Coules"

When I used Serif PagePlus drawing program some years ago, it kept popping up a plea to upgrade every so often, so beware!
--
Dave W

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:46:35 -0000, "Bert Coules"

Bit late in the day in replying, but the best website designer software for me is by far and away NetObjects Fusion. I got a version for free on a cover-mounted DVD several years ago and have upgraded it ever since. It is a doddle to use for novices, yet you can produce sophisticated websites in a flash. Totally point and click, and pretty intuitive in the way it does things.
I haven't updated it for quite some time now, as the version I've currently got installed is more than enough for my purposes.
Go here for more details: http://netobjects.com/
There is even a free starter version for downloading: http://netobjects.com/html/free-website-design-software.html
MM
On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 22:03:43 +0000, John Rumm

OK, I only looked at a trial version of Dreamweaver, but considered that most of its features I didn't want and couldn't afford. I'm glad to hear it doesn't touch embedded hand coded stuff, but if you can hand code, why use Dreamweaver?
--
Dave W

Because it makes more sense to only hand code the tricky stuff that that web site software doesn't do for you when you just specify what you want.
On 14/11/2014 16:31, Dave W wrote:

You can use it as a basic context sensitive HTML editor, and its also good with CSS styles - giving decent property based editors etc. So if you have a layout or design in mind, its a quick way of defining all the layout elements of your pages. And reams and reams of nested DIVs with attached styles ain't much fun to code by hand IMHO.
--
Cheers,

John.