Weatherproof Boxes

That sort of makes it a bit more complicated as with two sperate latching switches you could have 'em both on at the same this may or may not be a Good Thing. The center off switch avoids that possibilty.

Perhaps getting a decent IP65 enclosure and mounting it in a sheltered position is the best bet. Trouble is with the flippy lid, the owners will not always make sure it is fully closed... and make sure there is a small drain hole for condensation to get out through as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, now that's the story I'd like to hear!

Reply to
Adam Funk

According to

's SPDT

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It was a converted warehouse in Southwark, south London. Architects had had a field day developing it into apartments & offices.

On particular office had a sloping glass roof, rather like a giant Velux window. The architects hadn't considered that, even in moderate sunlight, the office became so hot it was unusable.

We installed a manual awning about 10' up to shield the office from the sun. It was the cheapest option.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the confirmation.

Hilarious that the rip off site has the full description but the linked to page at RS doesn't:

MK data from both RS and TLC was similarly vague.

Reply to
fred

Fair enough, but I was expecting something funny. :-(

Reply to
Adam Funk

In message , fred writes

An alternative solution (different level of expense) might be a multi-pole rotary switch; biassed to return to *centre off* position.

Possibly easier to weatherproof but harder to find with contacts suitable for inductive loads.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The motor only runs ay 1.1 amps.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I would just fit the remote control upgrade and not have a switch at all (about £30). Who knows they might even fit the automatic one that weather watches to extend or retract the blind (about £130).

Reply to
dennis

So what did you end up fitting?

Reply to
ARW

Lady changed her mind & wanted the switch inside :-)

Bloody customers!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Never mind.You still learnt something about outside switches.

Reply to
ARW

I did. I also have one of those boxes you don't like for next time.

I thought it looked OK.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Wait until it has had 12 months of sun on it.

Reply to
ARW

One of todays jobs was a customer with a problem with the key switch that operates their electric swimming pool cover. There is no need for a key switch (that just came with the swimming pool) but it needed to be waterproof (wet hands etc).

Any guesses as to what I fitted as a replacement to the key switch:-)?

Reply to
ARW

It'll last for a decade up here, then.

Owain