Water meter cost?

Maybe ?350k now. No idea re 1997.

2 in use as bedrooms, plus 3 tiny (no room to swing cat) in use as office/store rooms.
2

We have a few old people visiting for meals etc.

But that doesn't explain why metered charges here are about double London charges.

They have been closing small storage facilities and pumping stations since privatisation. One nearby is now a day nursery.

Reply to
Bill

Not even remotely. How does a member of the public sell their share of Scottish Water? They can't. How does a member of the public buy a share of Scottish Water? They can't. How does a member of the public vote for or against the BoD at an AGM? They can't. State ownership is not remotely like "public" ownership. It's a Humpty-Dumpty term invented by the Left.

Reply to
Huge

It depends on how many people per household AND how you use water. Having baths rather than showers can use a lot more water, using a hose to water grass in the summer can use a lot of water etc. The savings also relate to the old rateable value of your house on which the water charges are based if you don't have a meter.

The biggest saving on water/sewerage bills is probably achieved in properties with low occupancy (one or two people) or for properties with a higher rateable values. However, if your household are low to medium water users then there are possibly savings to be made.

The problem in areas with water shortages is the availability of suitable sites for reservoirs and how to get water into them. Around my way water shortages are often due to the reservoirs not being replenished during a wet winter. Possibly the surrounding land ending up being a lot dryer and not releasing any rainfall to the rivers.

Reply to
alan_m

months, so

£336.89 / annum, United Utils, water only, also on septic tank.

Comprising: £ 66.89 Standing Charge £275.00 Water £ 5.00 DD discount

Fairly sure the bumpf that came with the bill offered a free meter with option to revert to rateable value for up to a couple maybe three years. New owner would have to use meter.

I did wander across to their calculator thingy and even pushing use right down the meter still cost more.

Installing my own meter and being able to use real numbers rather than some wishy washy guesstimation isn't a bad idea. Do any have an electronically accessable reading output? Just pulses would do.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You are free to argue for that meaning (which I assume means you use "state" to mean every entity which is not private - including eg parish councils). Meanwhile most of us accept that "public ownership" has 2 meanings, distinguished by context - including eg the lefties at the FT:

"Definition of public ownership. This has two distinct meanings, in line with the two meanings of the term public. Public ownership is what a company has when its shares are publicly held (see private company). But it is also ownership by the government (see nationalisation; public sector)."

Reply to
Robin

It didn't really make much difference for us. It does also depend on the old rateable value of your house. The higher the value the lower the savings and vice versa.

Reply to
bert

Leisure activities?! I'd assume a swimming centre pays a lot more water rates than a householder.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You'd think we were a 3rd world country.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Wales AFAIK is as wet as Scotland, there is no excuse for your water com= pany to be short of water.

-- =

If you were amazed to discover that cell phones have uses other than set= ting off roadside bombs, you may be a Muslim.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

But if we concrete over the grass we cause global warming apparently.....

That's a weird thing, is this the same all over the country? I pay council tax (and probably water aswell) according to the value of the house when I bought it. So someone who moves into the identical house next door to me, 20 years after I did, pays a much higher rate? WTF?!

There's plenty places everywhere that could make reservoirs. And you can pipe it 100 miles.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Would your water board actually accept readings from your own meter?

-- =

TEACHER: Millie, give me a sentence starting with "I" MILLIE: I is.. TEACHER: No, Millie ..... Always say, "I am" MILLIE: All right... "I am the ninth letter of the alphabet"

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

From the Welsh Water (and United utils) Website :-

Standard Household Measured Charges (from 1st April 2018 to 31st March 2019)

Charge type Water Sewerage

WW Standard volu rate per m3 £1.3524 £1.7617 (Southern Water charge >>> £1.31 £2.277) (United Utilities charge >>> £2.24 £1.474)

(Southern Sewerage volu rate per m3 (less Surface water rebate of 37p per m3) ** £1.3894

** if no surface water enters the Southern sewers a rebate of 37p reduces the sewage rate to the above figure. Southern assume that a percentage of the water used comes back in the foul sewers. For people using a hosepipe a lot you can apply to reduce this percentage.

Daily Standing charges depend on meter size :-

Charge type per meter size Water Sewerage

WW meter size up to 25mm 10.47p 23.14p (southern water charge 7.44p 10.24) **2 (United Utilities water charge 10.65p 35.88) **3 WW meter size 30mm 50.35p 105.16p WW meter size 40mm 92.76p 156.28p

**2 Southern charge £60.35 standing charge for metered **2 sewage per year, but rebate it to ??? a year if all **2 your surface water goes into a soakaway. This figure **2 includes £12.15 annual highway drainage charge. **3 United Utils rebate the annual sewage standing charge **3 by £84.82 if none of your surface water enters the **3 sewage system (not applicable to you).

If you ask United Utils for a meter and they cannot fit it then they use an assessed charge of (EXCL VAT!!) as follows:-

Type of premises Water Sewerage Total Single person household £98.99 £168.43 £267.42 Detached (includes houses, link detached houses and bungalows) £246.52 £266.09 £512.61

Semi-detached (includes houses and semi-detached bungalows) £222.52 £250.30 £472.82 Other household premises (includes flats and terraced houses) £163.42 £211.44 £374.86

If you dont have a meter and haven't asked for one (!!), then these are the charges :-

Water Standing charge £80.268 Charge per £RV* £1.32

All Services NoSurfaceWater Surface Water + Hway only Sewage charge Per £RV £1.2072 £1.2072 n/a Surface water charge Per £RV £0.6492 n/a £0.6492 Hiway drainage charge Per £RV £0.1716 £0.1716 £0.1716 Total charge Per £RV* £2.028 £1.3788 £0.8208

Welsh Water Unmeasured Sewerage Charges :-

Standing Charge £182.28 Standing Charge ? Surface Water rebated £126.88 RV based charge ? per poundage of RV £ 1.1883

If there is no rateable value then these flat annual figures are charged (+ vat ???) :-

Uniform Service Charge £336.76 Uniform Service Charge ? Surface Water rebated £281.36 Surface Water only - includes highway drainage £ 80.99

The important missing figure is your Rateable Value. Do you know what it is ? If so multiply those £RV values by it and you should end up with what you are paying. I phoned Welsh Water and they said it all depends on the RV.

I have a suspicious feeling that you are paying water *and* sewage charges to *one* of those suppliers, in other words you are paying for something twice, probably sewage. £1200 a year for a 3 bed house (sounds like mine) is bonkers. I pay £130 a year (single person and frugal !!).

Even if you had a detached 3 bed house your assessed water charge for United Utils would be £246.52 + vat, and the Welsh Water Sewage charge (without surface water drainage) is £281.36 (?vat).

Any chance of scanning a bill, redacting the address and acct no and putting it somewhere where we can see it ?. Where does your surface water go ?, there are savings to be made if it does not enter the drains. If you are stuck, take a bill and go and see the citizens advice people. They might help.

Reply to
Andrew

Scotland is!

Reply to
alan_m

Based on a wishy washy average consumption figure.

Anglian Water gives an average water consumption of 145 litres per day per person. My water supplier charges £1.30 per 1000 litres + standing charge My waste water is charged at £0.80 per 1000 litres (figure based on metered water) + standing charge

Based on those three figures an average person would cost £130 per year plus standing charges of £90 in my region = £220 for both water and waste water.

So metered

1 person = £220 2 people = £350 3 people = £480

For comparison the water company also gives these indicative figures unmetered water in the region.

Band 1, 1 bedroom unmetered = £292 Band 2, 2 bedroom unmetered = £311 Band 3, 3 bedroom unmetered = £350 Band 4, 4 bedroom unmetered = £375 Band 5, 5 bedroom unmetered = £410

Reply to
alan_m

Drop some nukes on the council estates and we'd shoot up to the top 5 richest countries.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 15:46:06 +0100, alan_m wrot= e:

Your standing charges are cheap. I'd pay =A3300 (for both together). I= have a feeling I'm paying extra for the meter, even though I'd be the o= ne to pay for any repairs to damages by frost).

-- =

There are 2 kinds of people in this world. Those that want to get ahead,= and those that just want to get head.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What amazes me is if I'm frugal with water, and frugal with electricity, I'd actually pay similar amounts for both! How on earth can water (which is free from the skies, they just clean it and pipe it) cost as much as electricity which has to be generated?!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Cost you a fair bit to get a meter unless you can borrow one. Can't you just do a rough estimate? Count how many times you flush the loo, have a shower, run the washing machine, etc, and add them all up.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I can see that would be ideal but if the main purpose is to judge if switching to a metered contract is beneficial why can you not use a meter you read manually?

Bear in mind too that I think suppliers are required by law not just to fit a meter but to let you revert to the rateable value basis if you don't like the results. So you could get one fitted for free; then change your mind a month later; then change your mind again and go for metering ;)

Reply to
Robin

You miss the point. Water is a renewable resource and therefore is green. Anything classified as green, often with a sub-classification of being free, is in fact usually very expensive. The people promoting "green" are good at spending your money.

Reply to
alan_m