Water meter cost?

Before I went for a official meter I purchased a basic dial water meter from BES. From memory it cost around £25 and I fitted myself under the stairs after the incoming stop c*ck. I only removed and scrapped it around 3 months ago when I had to make some alterations to the pipe-work. The cheap meter I purchased was for 15mm pipes but found no significant difference in flow when fitting it to my 22mm incoming pipes (via reducers).

It's probably not worth going to the effort of automatic logging as you are only after a yearly usage, maybe split in quarters to mirror billing periods. Logging more frequently may however enable you to detect leaks/dripping taps etc.

My water usage is fairly flat over the year. I tend to have more baths (as opposed to showers) in the winter and water garden plants in the summer.

Reply to
alan_m

Probably not but I only want my own meter so I have real figures to use to see how much being on a metered supply would actually cost. It would have to have some form of electronic output though so I can log use.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Andrew writes

Many thanks for the detailed reply. The figures seem to have changed relative to my estimates some years ago.

I think the problem is the high RV of this house, which was something we knew when we moved in. It's actually a 3 bed detached, but converted to have 5 small bedrooms, as the previous owners had plans to adopt 3 children (the abandoned the plan after the first).

I'll study it all later - I am currently between hospital visiting commitments.

Reply to
Bill

I wonder.... do people with meters rinse and recycle food containers? I get through a lot of water doing this and wouldn't if I had to pay for it. I don't know if I'd put the dirty stuff in the recycling or the landfill bin.

Which begs the question, is it worth doing if you think of the environmental impact of supplying the water to wash them? If water costs so much to supply, it must be using resources, so is it using more than the plastic you're saving, which then also has to be processed aswell?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Welsh water is non profit making, so they say.

Reply to
critcher

that begs the question on the hidden costs to the home of recycling.

Reply to
critcher

answered your own question there my boy.

Reply to
critcher

a lot of private landlords would not be happy with that.

Reply to
critcher

Robin explained :

Once the meter is in though, any subsequent tenants or purchasers would have to be on a meter.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

My unmetered bill is £240 a year....at my old house.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only time. I don't spend money recycling. Large stuff I'll take to the recycling centre but I would have to take it somewhere anyway. Small unrecyclable things that should be taken to the recycling centre but will fit in the landfill bin just go in there. Like a 14" CRT TV.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Nursery? Too many kids. Get rid of the breeding immigrunts!

-- =

China has outlawed sexual harassment. This will make work conditions much more bearable during those 16 hour d= ays at the sweat shop.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I saw nothing like that in the Scottish water pdf online. I pay for a survey, I pay for the meter to be installed, I pay if they come round and say they can't install it. Basically I pay pay pay no matter what.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I assume you're being sarcastic as water is piped to me at a cost of chlorinating it, disposing of it, etc, which all use non-water resources.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 17:04:45 +0100, alan_m wrot= e:

If you use a hose I doubt installing a meter would save you anything, pr= obably cost you a bloody fortune. Unless of course you then got a load = of water butts.

-- =

Confucius say: "Man who lives in glass house should change in basement.= "

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The part in brackets made me laugh.

-- =

The "new labour" government has just announced that they are changing th= eir party emblem from a red rose to a condom, as they believe it most ac= curately represents the governments political stance. A condom stands up to inflation, halts production, destroys the next gen= eration, protects a bunch of pricks and gives you a false sense of secur= ity when you're actually being screwed.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And the stupid public keep on moaning about electricity prices! You're free to change electricity provider! I did and saved 30%! But you're stuck with one water provider. There is NO competition.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Of course they don't have any profits, the accountants make sure everything is spent feeding the cats. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We had one fitted 20 years ago. At the time, if you had a hose pipe, they fitted one free.

Over the years I've saved a small fortune. Before the offspring left home, it was many years (15 or so) before the bills broke even and now there are just two of us (from 5) we are back to saving.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Bill explained :

It was always thus! As more water is used, more pumping capacity is needed, more or bigger pipes. Likewise as more homes are built. I pumping station I put in, was originally wind driven, alongside it was built a steam powered station, then a diesel station, then finally when a large enough electricity supply arrived I put in electric pumps.

There is also economy in scale to be had and centralisation of facilities. So smaller facilities close and are replaced by larger ones.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield