Water meter

I have never read our water meter before so I decided to check it. The latest bill said" estimate".

Anyway, I lever up the cast iron cover and it doesn't look like it has been read for years, but between the meter itself and the cover at street level is a piece of white cable / pipe that leads up to something epoxied into a plastic housing mounted in a hole in the cover.

Am I right in assuming this provides some kind of means for them reading the meter without lifting the cover?

How does that work then, 'cos it looks incredibly unsophisticated?

Cheers

Neil

Reply to
Neil

You don't say which water company you are with. Up here, Yorkshire Water, they are starting to put automated meter reading devices in; AIUI, it's done by a wireless device and they can read about 6 at one go without getting out of the van. YW info at:

Allan

It's Bournemouth and West Hants. The meter doesn't look at nice as the one in that photo though.

Reply to
Neil