Water Meter installation ?

I need to add a water meter. From what I've read most of should be installed horizontally. Is it ok fo rthe face to be sideways instead of on the top. I want to put the meter on a line that is under some joists and to read it I will need to put it sideways.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I can't answer your question, but they do make remote reading meters. I had one long ago and outside there was a little odometer looking thing on the wall. Made things easy for the meter reader. Hell, now my electric meter is read from the power company office. A computer pings my meter and gets a reading.

Reply to
Tony

I know. But they are not cheap. An ordinary brass water meter is about $40 or so.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

It makes no difference. The water will flip right side up going through the pipe.

Reply to
LSMFT

If the meter is sideways, will the water go sideways out of the faucets? Instead of down into the sink?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You'll need to read the manufacturer's instructions. It could be, eg, that the face needs to be up so that sediment doesn't built up in the works.

Reply to
DanH

If you have to install it so that the head of the meter faces up, which is the way most every water meter I have ever seen has been installed, and you are not able to do that in the space you want to install the meter in, then the solution is simple...

Install the meter the proper way where you have space that permits this and run pipes to and from that location to the feeder and the metered side of the water line you want to measure with the meter...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

If you HAVE to install it face up, also install a small vanity mirror.

Reply to
HeyBub

NO, water can not flow sideways !!!

Reply to
whacko

I just wanted to avoid complicating the plumbing more that needed. All the installation instructions I have found say face up so I guess I'll add some elbows and pipe to the plan.

Reply to
jamesgangnc