Water Leak (Part 2)

They look like detergent bubbles did some one drop a bottle of fairy down the hole or where the gas people "enthusiastic" with their leak detector fluid?

Nope.

You mean you haven't? How strong is the smell of gas, is it a fast leak or just gently forming clumps that break away every so often?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Go on, light 'em and start a UFO scare. Then you can add Men from the (Air) Ministry to your collection, plus a crowd of UFOlogists, TV crews, ...

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

Also known as fracking! ;-)

Reply to
Part Timer

They were pissing leak detecting fluid down the hole - a whole bottle? :-) (Well, the empty is on the pile of soil.)

Reply to
polygonum

Pretty picture time again:

is the gas pipe which was, umm, leaking!

Currently got two gas people in garden digging up supply to house, more in road digging from drive to real gas main. They cannot get liner through. And cannot see a sensible way of supplying boiler with gas. Oh shit, concrete floors...

Water men arrived and went off again because they still cannot do anything.

Reply to
polygonum

Gas back on! Living room 12.6 C and rising.

Water still pissing out in garden.

Reply to
polygonum

Heating on is something worth cheering about :)

Reply to
mogga

Certainly is. :-)

Late in evening, water stopcock now installed. So we can control our mini-Venice. Hurrah!!!

Gas found that we have a shared supply with next door. Very unusual. And wrong. So need to find out exactly what the situation is there because we must be very close to limit when both boilers (next door and ours) are burning.

Also need to get the shared water supply sorted but the landlord company is not returning calls. Will have to start blackmailing: "Your tenant will have no water". (Obviously, we really are not going to cut them off entirely, but have only partially turned it on to reduce leakage rate.)

Big hole in garden from gas main relay. Venice of channels. Big hole in drive from water and gas - looks like that is slowly filling up with water. And smaller hole in drive from gas.

If anyone ever suggests imprinted concrete - run. They were really happy it is ordinary block paving.

Do not know when anyone is coming back.

Reply to
polygonum

Weren't you givena couple of fan heaters?

Still pissing?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes - because it is a shared supply, we have to talk to landlord of next door. And they pissed off at 16:30 on Friday. Their plumber chap came round about 17:00 and was completely ridiculous. Wanted to charge us full replacement of run and let next door off with their (short) tee-off.

So two gas leaks fixed, and drive repaired. (Thinking about it, there might have been five gas leaks in all!) Garden gas hole partially filled.

Tomorrow: Gas come and do rest of garden and pick up their fencing, etc. We tell landlord that if they do not co-operate properly, we will cut off next-door's water. Not much skin off our noses - we can turn it on for a few minutes from time to time.

Yes - we were given fan heaters, but couldn't stand the noise. (We both suffer from tinnitus and intermittent hyperacusis!) And we usually have it not much above 17 C.

Reply to
polygonum

I recall this happening to an area of Luton when the gas had to be cut off in an emergency. It was followed a couple of hours later by the local electricity substation exploding, due to all the electic heaters the gas co loaned out. Then no gas or water for a day or three...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Got away with that! The local electricity corral is only yards away! Like maybe five.

Reply to
polygonum