Keeprite EnviroPlus90 power vent water leak

Hello,

I have a 4 year old Keeprite EnviroPlus 90 gas furnace. It is working well, exceppt that it recently developed a condensate/water leak in the exhaust power vent motor assembly.

It seems that the condensate dripping back down the exhaust pipe is leaking out through the plastic assembly at different points.

My furnace company just came in and replaced this vent motor assembly with a new one, and guess what, it also leaks, at a different place.. It has been installed correclty.

It seems that the plastic housing is joined together with clips and a gasket of some sort. Is this assembly troublesome for others?

I need to place a drip tray in the blower compartment below to catch the water..

Thx, Norman

Reply to
Norman

This is the older style 'GCK' or 'GNK', right????

If so, the blower assembly is sealed very well from the factory. However this assembly is installed to the furnace by means of a 'drain transition' assembly.

It has two drain ports that protrude into the assembly (one for upflow/downflow and the other is for the horizontal application), these have special seals that seal the inducer assembly to the transition. These should have been changed with the new assembly (they come in the inducer kit). If your furnace is operating at a high Delta T, these special little seals become brittle and basically desinagrate. The water would look like it was coming from behind the inducer assembly if that was where the water is coming from. There is also a seal around the inlet port of the inducer, this is also in the new inducer kit (normally it doesn't need to be replaced).

So find out where the water seems to be coming from and I'll likely be able to tell you were it is coming from.

The model #, serial#, and the installation application (upflow/downflow or horz.) will aid in the diagnosis. (or send a picture of the furnace leak to my e-mail, that will solve this real quick)

Let us know.

BTW, they need to secure the blower before they connect the outlet piping. If the piping is applying pressure to the assembly, it may not get seated properly.

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

Nope. Not troubling at all. You need to have the parts changers come back out and look for why it is leaking and not just replace parts. Here is a hint. Clog. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Thank You for the quick reply..

It is a GNK100xxxx model.

I was there when the repair man replaced the blower assembly. We moved an "O" ring from the old assembly to the new one.. Also a light colored plastic restrictor piece at the center of the "O" ring opening needed to be moved from the old assembly to the new one.

I have a blow up of the parts right here, we replaced the Blower Exhaust squirrel cage assembly with attached motor.

Now I had a very good look at where the leak is coming from, I can see droplets of water hanging off the very bottom of this new blower assembly.. They pool up and drip onto the sheet metal just below and eventually enough water accumulates to drip down to the lower level with the huge blower..

The assembly which was replaced has steel clips at 3 inch intervals all around. The leak seems to originate right between the bottom

3 clips of the assembly. Everything is bolted on good and tight..

I'm not sure what you are referring to , the "inducer".

We replace dthe motor shroud assembly ahead of the "transition" assembly. is ok, looks to be dry all around.

Hope this makes some sense...

Thx, Norman

Reply to
Norman

That's what I figured......so is this being used as an Upflow design? I figure so, being you say the blower is on the bottom.

That's normal.

Where, it's not here.....send it to my addy.

You need to inspect the leak further to make sure it's not running down the back then flowing the assembly to the center where it drips.

That's what that black blower assembly is called.

Yes, I'm very familar to this equipment.

Send me photo's and we'll see what is going on.

~kjpro~

transition'

Reply to
~KJPRO~

I have Emailed you some pictures of the area with the leak..

Thx, Norman

Reply to
Norman

I have recieved the e-mails and pictures....

By your description of the problem, you need to lose the maintenance guy and hire a REAL HVAC Technician. Have them come out and find, fix, and correct any other issues that may be needing TLC.

Cause, one thing is for sure.......your 'maintenance guy', HAS NO CLUE!!

Seriously, get the problem fixed right and soon....before you have some real issues with the condensate rusting all the metal components!

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~