Water in cavity wall, help!!

I have a 1870s house that has had extensive works carried since it was constructed. I have removed the plaster on one of the walls and the morter packed around the inside edge of one of the windows. I have been able to trace the water dripping in (via a crack in the wood) to water leaking down the inside of the cavity wall to the top of the window box. Inspection of the outside wall above and around the window reveals a small number of holes where pipes used to go, or fitted were attached and then removed. Also there is two spots where morter has been damaged over the last 130 years and the window dierctly above has been changed from a 2m victorian sash window into a kitchen window by bricking up the lower half.

Am I correct in assuming that any of the above might be cause of my rogue leak?

I am also assuming that I should rectify this problem now whilst the wall is stripped and the window bare so I can verify the problem is solved next time with have a good rainfall.

Many thanks for any help you may be able to give.

================================ btw. i dont really check my google groups email address, please reply in uk.d-i-y :-)

Reply to
google2001