Water butt hydrodynamics

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

They're dead easy to put together from readily available bits - and plenty of websites and magazine articles available to show you how. In most cases it's little more then Lego.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

About one brick-thickness would be ideal - just right for a brick plinth.

Reply to
Guy King

up until the point where Microsoft products are involved, at least.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

I never have any trouble - put the W2Kpro disc in and away it goes.

Reply to
Guy King

I knew someone would say that. I suppose I meant that I can't make the bits ...

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That might be a problem in some places, our first butt was fitted about four years ago, the water is clear as clear and there's no sediment.

There was an occasional blockage on the butt which takes water from the neighbour's garage, it's needles from a tree. Spouse fitted a conical wire netting trap in the gutter to prevent it - it's worked so far.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Aren't there taps? I've been assuming that there would be, there are on ours.

Must go and see to the bread oven ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Didn't she show you the instructions?

Ours is fitted on the downspout at the maximum level in the butt.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A little off topic here, I assume that you all live where the ground is level, lucky you, I am on severely sloping land, so all buts would be at differing levels. Putting stands under to get them at the same level would not be practical, what I need is a diverter that fits small piping, any suggestions?

Reply to
Broadback

Until you add applications, updates, hardware with drivers and a passage of time.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Which is where you'd expect it to be, but she's "misplaced" the instructions.

Reply to
Guy King

Buy her a filing cabinet for her birthday. It's fun!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I wouldn't consider anything but Microsoft and I've decided that when this pc dies I'll be back here askinig questions. Well, not here, exactly, I'll start a new thread.

Watch this space.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm not ...

Does it slope in ALL directions?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

As would mine have been if I hadn't made a level platform [1] for them. ;-)

I could do with one of those for the smaller gutter / down pipe I've just fitted to the lean-to. Either that or I'll just fit std sized stuff ..?

All the best ..

T i m

[1] This consists of a concrete 'panel' (cast by my late father-in-law over 40 years ago as drop-in-side-panels for the garage he built. The garage was destroyed by a lorry straying off a local roundabout and I inherited the undamaged panels. The main body of which currently 'pave' our front 'garden' and one of the few spares now makes a plinth for the 3 butts ;-)
Reply to
T i m

I fully agree, other than for the (small) risk of a total loss of water with a fault / failure (I have already had one brand new tap leak a bucket full / day).

I believe, as per the fitting instructions, some 30mm above the center of the inlet fitting.

Now I have fitted the diverter, first and second butts I am slightly restricted re height adjustment (and it's all on an existing concrete base). I 'can' stagger them by say 3mm per butt (so the first will be

6mm higher than the last) but again that will reduce the 'fall' on the hose tween diverter and first butt?

Any particular leaves? (I have bindweed, cucumber, broad bean, bindweed, runner bean, dwarf bean, bindweed, tumbler toms, std toms and dandelion (did I mention bindweed?) to choose from atm ) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

This installation has been stable for the last (nearly) three years. When needed for long downloads it's been up for several days at a time without problems. Something I'd not even have tried with W98. I gather XP can be rather more troublesome - at least the installations of it I've met have been.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Oh, she has one - she only loses things when it's convenient.

Reply to
Guy King

They come with the lids fitted and the fittings inside (get out of that one)! ;-)

You probably wouldn't ?

Did I mention worrying about that?

My lids are domed so can't collect water ..(that's what the butts are for)?

On these lids I might?

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well anything 'can' be done, it's more a matter of it not being convenient for all of us to do so. Like I can make pastry from the ingredients but can't (easily) make / grow / breed the ingredients?

I have always made my PC's (from components). 1) because I can and 2) because it used to be cheaper and 3) I can get exactly what I want and

4) I can fix / upgrade it without upsetting any small print.

Now days the nearest I generally get to 'building' is re-cycling (like turning a 1978 MkII Escort into what looks like a Suzy Jeep) or salvaging / recovering / repairing / restoring something considered 'dead' or unwanted by others.

Before I could afford to buy electronic 'kit' I would design or construct (from kits) my own. In most cases these days I couldn't afford the cost of the components (assuming I could find them in the first place) let alone the time to build (more the casing rather than the PCB) and wouldn't always be content with the final result / performance (compared with commercially designed / built kit) if I did.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m