T i m

Reply to
T i m

Is that a technical term?

Ah.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

So hang a bit of chicken wire over the edge for them to clamber out on.

Reply to
Guy King

LOL

T i m

Reply to
T i m
8>

Well it hasn't leaked yet. They had to be linked at the bottom anyway because I wanted to be able to draw water off automatically for the tomato bed and didn't want to have to manually switch between butts. I put the thing up just before going on an unusually long holiday and had little idea how quickly the water would get used.

I'm really quite pleased as this is the first time I've been completely successful with automatic watering for the tomatoes. Previously I used systems off the mains but whether they were the flush type or steady drip ones they always clogged up.

The interconnecting hoses are just pushed over the butt taps and haven't even needed clips. The "T" pieces are branded ones for linking hoses (Gardena I think) and just push on but have a kind of clip that wedges the pipe in position. Apart from the butts themselves those "T" pieces were the most expensive part of the whole thing. If I hadn't been in quite such a hurry I'd have made my own from solder "T"s and bits of

15mm pipe. But then I'd have felt the need for jubilee clips too.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

No, indeed, but *should* you get a pipe get pulled off It would drain the whole system wouldn't it? ;-(

I think it's a good idea (ignoring the small risk above etc). I

Do water meters need much 'pressure' do you know ... always interesting to actually measure these things ('if you can measure it you can manage it' sorta thing)?

So how do you do the 'automatic' bit please Edgar?

My 'slimline' butts have what looks like an ideal tap for that purpose too ;-)

I thought the larger Hoselock 'T's' (for their irrigation system) might do the trick .. ?

There are times when d-i-y isn't better or cheaper ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m
8>

I doubt they'll pull off easily - the taps have a hose ridge. But there are always jubilee clips for the pessimistic.

8> Do water meters need much 'pressure' do you know ... always

Not the kind where you use a jug and a watch. But I didn't have time to measure so just arranged for the bed to overflow if it got too much water.

8> So how do you do the 'automatic' bit please Edgar?

Easy. just run a pipe into the bed with a tap in line and turn the tap low. The idea is that the bed retains a low level of water in the gravel. If the water runs too much there's an overflow route. When I've used mains water I've always been concerned to save wasting it and had to set the flow very slow - hence they clog. This time I felt able to be more extravagant with water.

Our butts are the Council subsidised ones and came complete with stand, lid, tap and downpipe connector.

I think they were more expensive but if you've got them ...

It would have been cheaper as I already had all the bits. Better? I don't know. Either would have worked.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

See another post :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well - why should you ned to remover the lids?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We have some timers which we bought from Lidl a long time ago for about 50p each, they can be programmed but we haven't used them yet because we've never been away for more than a few days in dry weather. I bet there's some such device.

More satisfying though.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So have we, it's a very good feeling.

It also saves hauling cans around or standing with a hose, which is probably the most boring job I can think of.

Cue for new thread :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Erm, to fit the fittings ... to check the level ... ?

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Always?

I generally *like* to d-i-y but will always take a production solution when prudent to do so (time / cost / features etc).

And if the 'bought' solution fits the above then I find *that* more satisfying that trying to d-i-y ?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Fit the fittings before putting on the lid.

Why do you need to check the level - except from curiosity?

If you're collecting rain water you won't need to fill the butt* and if the diverter is fitted properly it won't overflow.

  • our lids have openings on the top to drain rainwater which falls on the lids!

Don't worry about your pretty little nails, you won't damage your extensions or lacquer :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think so, if it can be done. I can't make a computer so I buy one, for instance :-)

See above.

Well, I wish I COULD make a computer!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher
8>
8>
Reply to
Edgar Iredale

No sht :)

I would have thought that low coupling enabling all the water to be accessible was mostly a positive thing. High coupling means manually changing from butt to butt any time you want to use whats there. Given that low coupling solves the fill problem I'd go with that.

I dont know what level your divertor will fill to, but if its anything less than brim full, dropping the other 2 butts slightly would make them truly full, thus capture more water. Staggering sounds like a good idea to me for that reason. And if you'd drunk 3 buttfulls you'd be staggering! I'd just have 1 butt first and see how high it fills.

Bung a few leaves in a fine mesh washbag into butt 1 (on a hook so you can lift it out) and you've got dilute plant food.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No sht :)

I would have thought that low coupling enabling all the water to be accessible was mostly a positive thing. High coupling means manually changing from butt to butt any time you want to use whats there. Given that low coupling solves the fill problem I'd go with that.

I dont know what level your divertor will fill to, but if its anything less than brim full, dropping the other 2 butts slightly would make them truly full, thus capture more water. Staggering sounds like a good idea to me for that reason. And if you'd drunk 3 buttfulls you'd be staggering! I'd just have 1 butt first and see how high it fills.

Bung a few leaves in a fine mesh washbag into butt 1 (on a hook so you can lift it out) and you've got dilute plant food.

Oh, one more thing: if you take your output from butt 3 you ensure throughflow and minimise stagnation.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If Britain gets any less competitive we'll end up diying fridges.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Amazing how many are fitted with the take-off point in the downspout above the required level in the butt Often a foot or so above the lid! I've even been told by one owner (my mother) that the instructions specifically said to do this - which I find a little hard to believe.

Reply to
Guy King