Water butt hydrodynamics

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

Though the downside is that if you get a leak you'll lose the lot instead of just one butt.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from T i m contains these words:

And anyway, there's usually several bits in the junkpile to get you started.

Reply to
Guy King

Yeah, it's funny that .. you find a nice video card and build a PC round it ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The message from T i m contains these words:

I've only recently parted company with the excellent Elonex keyboard that came with my first 286 machine.

Reply to
Guy King

PS2 plug (some 286's did)?

I found the bill for my first decent HDD the other day 80Mb, Seagate SCSI, half height, 3-1/2" .. 350 quid (then)!

Put a 250G drive in my Daughters PC the other day (teach me to put a

2G CF card in her 12Mp camera) for 54 quid .. (the cost of the drive, not my charge for fitting it) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

any plant matter, it all rots down to the same thing. There are one or

2 that are toxic to some plants, walnuts and roses being well known for this, but weeds grasses and assorted small plants are no problem.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from T i m contains these words:

No, DIN-5 but it wasn't that which killed it off. Several of the switch units had died, and though I swapped them round for keys I never use eventually it all got the better of me.

Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King saying something like:

I'm still using the clacky IBM keyboard that came with my first 286. Utterly bulletproof.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Several *DAYS*???

That's appalling.

Two of my Linux machines are into their third year of running without rebooting. My MacBook Pro has been up for three weeks without reboot

- just sleep and wake.

I suppose that Microsoft has managed to fool people that a few days without reboot is good. XP machines can just about manage that. With Win9x forget it, because it's a disk monitor, not an operating system.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah!

I sometimes have selective deafness :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You mentioned fitting fittings ...

Are you hitting the query key instead of the period ? :-)

You mentioned back pressure and checking the level. I was trying to reassure you :-)

If they are dished with slots it's an extra source of water - the rain falling on the lids drains into the butt instead of to the ground. It's sensible design, I think.

Only if you try to remove the lids and you seem to agree that there's no reason for that :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mine has XP, it's been 100% stable - but I didn't build it. Nor did I buy the machine as a stock item. It was made (by a company which custom builds for industry) to accommodate my needs.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I take your point. But isn't making the pastry yourself better and more satisfying (no idea about 'cheapness') than buying it?

I've not had to fix or upgrade mine.

And that's very satisfying, I think.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I have a pair of sails. I'm still waiting for him to build the attachment ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Must be convenient that - being able to use it for target practice :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nettles, apparently, have pest-dealing as well as nutritional qualities.

I have a separate butt for them but can't say I've noticed any difference in performance. I wouldn't put stuff in a roof-water butt.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So, I have to remove the lid to get the tap out and fit it. I might put the lid back on while I'm waiting to get round to getting the drill / tank cutter out then need to take the lid back off when I do. I would then take the lid off again after it's rained to see how full it is and again a couple more times to check how full it gets. Then I would take the lid off again to drill the outlet hole when I locate a coupling kit and the lid off the second butt to fit the tap / drill / fit the inlet fitting ....

No, it was rhetorical. ;-)

I knew it would *work* my op was to hydrodynamics engineers to test if the extended setup would work as efficiently.

And would also allow the entry of small foreign objects / insects and allow some evaporation?

See above .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Aww .. it's a shame when you loose an old friend ... ;-(

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, mostly, but not always an option or convenient (takes more time and if you don't want to make a hobby of getting some sustenance ... ).

Nor have I *had* to fix mine but I have *wanted* to upgrade it.

"Yes, it is"

Reply to
T i m

Oh, sustenance for us isn't a hobby. We want the best and aren't prepared to accept anything less.

Hmm. You're not good at fitting door handles then ?

Never mind, next time it will be faster.

I hope you didn't damage your nails ...

My imagination's working overtime!

Mary

Reply to