Washing Machine Submersible Water Pump

I have one of these 'sunk' in a c.5 gallon tank to take washing machine water from the machine, vertical 2m, horizontal 4m, then out to the drain. It was installed by a qualified plumber using a hose that collapses flat, threaded through plastic tubing at bends and along the horizontal run. No obstruction that I can see.

It;s a Draper SWP110A with a float switch, and it's failed to activate half a dozen times over the last year. (On hindsight a tank larger than the capacity of the washing m/c may have been wise!). The fuse has blown three times, otherwise it seems to reset with no explanation I can see. Now it won't work at all. I've flushed/cleaned it and I can't see any problem except the impeller seems to grate as it rotates - perhaps the shaft bearing is damaged.

I don't know if it is a faulty unit, or the combination of hot water and detergent is a mix too far for pumps of this kind.

Can anyone recommend a suitable pump for this use?

TIA, Rob

Reply to
Rob

Wot's wrong with the pump that's in the washing machine? There are two in mine and they come apart easily for cleaning, or on occasion when a bit of grit or something stops the impeller. So long as the filters are kept clear the water is ejected at a great rate, so I don't see why you need another pump.

Spamlet

Go to screwfix and read the reviews.

Washing machine pumps can only pump so far vertically, sounds like the w/m is in a basement or there has been substantial subsidence :-)

Reply to
js.b1

Depends how long the pipe run is from machine to open end. If it's long all that shitty water will run back into the machine and mess up the rinse cycles and of course there will be more water in the machine when it's finished to stagnate nicely for the next wash...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The built in pump won't (according to the manual) manage a 2m rise.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I've had a look, and can't see any reviews for permanent installation/washing machine water.

it's probably more information than anyone needs, but it appears that washing machines generate a particularly nasty/smelly form of sediment, and 'need' a pump that stirs the sediment when the pump cycles in this application. According to the (German) manufacturer, but I can confirm the smell. Or, there's a tank/pump combo for c.£300.

Or, Screwfix have written back to my query and suggested a cheapish

*dirty* water pump - the Draper is clean(ish).

So, I'll get the Screwfix and give it all a stir and clean fill every so often.

And it's in a basement :-)

Rob

Reply to
Rob