Washing machine offered.. good deal?

My washing machine is busted. I've been offered a Miele W865 from a friend for delivery cost (£80) which has a minor fault but has still

2-3 years warrantee remaining (thus should be fixed for free). Is this a good brand/machine/price?

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Socket

Make sure to read the fine print. Very often it states words to the effect that warranty isn't transferrable (I think, anyway).

PoP

Reply to
PoP

We recently bought a Miele on the recommendation of this group. Have to say I'm bloody impressed with it, all you can hear at full spin is a low hum nothing like the jet engine effects of the Hotpoint it replaced. The build quality is exceptional and it looks like it will last longer than I will ! Although at £815 it brought a tear to the eye when it came to paying for it.

Don't know anything about the W865 and Miele don't list it on their website so i guess that it is an old model. However if you sure the problem is minor and presumably cheap to fix it may well be worth the gamble. (Why can't your friend get it repaired under warranty and then pass it on to you?)

Reply to
JimM

I guess that's a vote of confidence then! ;-)

Shall enquire about the warrantee.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Socket

Absolutely. I have one of their washers (about 13 years old) which is still basically as good as new with daily use. There's no sign of deterioration of the metalwork at all - they use a heavy enamelling - or deterioration of the seals and hoses. I also have one of their dryers and a dishwasher, both with very good service lives.

That's possible. Obviously it would prevent it from pumping out properly, which in turn can prevent the various stages of the cycle from completing properly.

Miele have a very good service organisation, which on the couple of times I've had to use them have done an excellent job. They even have a number that you can call the day before which will tell you a 2 hour time window when the enginer will call. If something happens that they are held up for any reason, they take the trouble to call. Servicing on the washing machines can be done entirely from the front, as I understand it - there is a front panel which swings out and they can work on it from there.

I think it would be pointless to invite them along until you have the machine in place and connected up.

One thing to note is that these are *very* heavy machines. One person can just about walk one a short distance to locate it. You need to plan for two or better three people to move it, and possibly a seriously strong appliance truck. You might want to call their help line for advice on how to go about moving the machine. At £80, this is a seriously good buy. Even if you had to spend £200 on fixing it, it remains a very good opportunity.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

How will they know you're not him? Tell 'em you moved!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

No need. Miele said the guarantee is transferable and runs to 2006. I'm Impressed!

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Socket

Indeedy :-)

This is where I hit a snag. The washer needs to be moved by next Friday, and I've missed the deadline for that removal company. Doh!

No doubt you will imminently see more pleas for help, from me. Aren't newsgroups great!

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Socket