Washing - hanging out or in?

I noticed that my neighbour had hung some trousers on the line to dry, and that they were inside out. I vaguely remember my mother saying something about this practice ~ 60 years ago.... What are the supposed advantages, and what am I missing by not bothering? Thanks

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in message news:44984790$0$9818$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com...

It might prevent bleaching, I can't think of any other reason.

I don't bother.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

not really a problem with modern dyes,

NT

Reply to
meow2222

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in message news:44984790$0$9818$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com...

prevent bleaching. If you read the labels many items of clothing tell you to this when washing, hanging to dry and/or ironing.

Another reason, many decades ago, was because the air was much dirtier and you did not want your clean clothes dirtied by all the muck from the nearby copper mines, steel-works, coal-tips, chimneys, steam engines, etc, etc. If the clothes were inside out then the dirty side did not get covered in soot and muck and you could still wear them. I know it sounds yuck today but that was also a reason many years ago.

Fifty years from now people will be looking back and wondering why we dirtied our environment with diesel engines that fouled the atmosphere and gave us all asthma and other chronic lung dieseases.

John.

Reply to
John Smith

As it was sunny this pm when I noticed, I thought it might be that, but then I think I'd prefer not to have bird droppings etc. next to my "delicate" skin!

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Thanks for reminding me about the filth in which somehow we survived. I remember back in the '60s just after I'd bought a light coloured raincoat, waiting (in light drizzle) for a bus that it wasn't long before my coat had changed to a shade of grey, and had to be washed before its next outing. (This was when parts of the UK had gone smoke-free, whilst others were still waiting their turn.)

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

The way we are going, 50 years from now, the ants might be wondering where those huge shoe-creatures that used to persecute them have all disappeared to.

Reply to
EricP

snipped-for-privacy@care2.comtyped

You gotta be joking.

Some modern dyes certainly fade in the sun.

Some people like this appearance.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Malcolm Stewart" typed

I must confess to rewashing things which receive birds' calling cards.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

They were probably washed inside out. Doing so prevents the fabric from abbrasion effects in contact with other clothes and the walls of the washing machine.

Reply to
Adrian C

Ants? It is the potatoes we have to be worried about. They will eventually take over the planet after the moles have run things for a while. The potatoes will then invent Time machines and comes back to reek vengance on all their ancestors who were scrapped, peeled, boiled, chipped and smashed!

Reply to
John Smith

Showed this to SWMBO. She says a lot of dyes still fade (actually, I know they do).

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Adrian C" wrote

And when you come to iron them, a rare event in our household, depending on what the material is ironing inside out prevents a shine developing on the surface of the cloth.

HLAH

Malcolm Take any top that has been dried out on a line for most of its life and compare the colour inside a pocket or on the inside of the garment. It will be much more vivid. This is why we turn clothes inside out. The main area to get bleaching is where the line is (because that small strip faces straight up) so you can end up getting clothes that are bleached in stripes... its funny that people are now paying extra for this effect from new and then tumble dry their washing even in the summer. Calum Sabey (NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Reply to
calums

You have cast iron proof of this ?

Dave

Reply to
gort

Living on my own, I've never felt the need for an external washing line, and all my washing (for the last 25 years) has been dried inside, in my utility room.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Though the razor-sharp creases down the trousers look rather odd.

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

Except for those with a naval background.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Of course he doesn't, silly, there is none. Why is that the incidence of Asthma was much lower in the heavily polluted east Germany, than in the West?

It's more to do with unhealthy lifestyles and not letting babies and toddlers build up their natural immunity to things they will encounter in the environment.

Ban Microban and let kids eat dirt!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

advantages,

I doubt if many trousers would have been washable 60 years ago, but when washable / drip-dry trousers became common in the 1960s the pockets were often still made from cotton material which took longer to dry than the body of the trousers.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero