Washing - hanging out or in?

I visited friends in Zambia and was somewhat embarrassed to find my friend's wife ironing all my socks, underwear etc. The explanation was that there are flies which lay eggs on damp clothing when it is hung out and when they hatch they then migrate under your skin with very unpleasant results. Nothing to do with the water.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

You must be young. I had an enormous radio in a Bakelite case which only worked if I held down one of the valves. I listened to Jimmy Saville one night a week but had to keep an ear open for the tread on the stairs. Radio Luxemburg was the only station I could get.

Ah - happy days!

i.e. nights

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Did you take any notice?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Asda did exist then, in a different form. It began as Craven Dairies in Leeds, they amalgamated with some other small local dairies to become Associated Dairies, thence ASDA.

I think Associated Dairies was the main competitor to the Co-operative Dairy.

Alas there are no dairies in Leeds any more - of which I know, that is. No more nipping down the street to get some milk or cream :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah - in that case it's only right and proper :-)

It's not original, I got it from Punch too long ago to remember ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So did I

I would have fixed it.

Sundays 10 O'clock? probably my memory failing.

Well, there was the home and the light aswell.

Reply to
<me9

You never said :-(

Sounds likely.

Not on that radio. I really had to fiddle with it to get anything I could understand.

Ah, they don't make them like they used to ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Come to think of it a son who holidayed in Jamaica came home with a nasty case of hookworm because he took no notice of people who said he should wear footwear on the beach ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from Tony Bryer contains these words:

That may well have been it. It was many years ago.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I've had some very very loose cars.

Reply to
Guy King

J.S. worked at Radio Luxemburg from 1958 onwards. I was 11 then. He'd attended St Micheals College, Leeds but had been expelled. During the early '60s used to come and park outside the school in his Rolls Royce and stand on the bonnet mocking the school establishment.

I went to Leeds Central and frequently saw him in the city centre in his maroon RR whilst waiting for my bus and got a Churchillian "V" sign, (Class or what ?) .

I can certainly remember listening in trepidation for the tread on the stairs, and being literally paralysed with fear when an approach was detected, as it inevitably was, usually at the same time every week.

Odd, assuming you lived in Leeds and not Luxemburg at the time !

There probably wasn't much on "The Light Program" (AKA "the Forces" programme) that you'd risk your hide for, except maybe

father used to listen to "Sing Something Simple", at the time, which just creased me up. He said that music from the top 20 was "Not sweet at all", whereas, "Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey. A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you? " ...

Was IMHO too "sweet" for words.

The BBC hid behind a contract (or some said it was the law even ?) that said only 25% of their music could be recorded. They soon changed their tune (as it were) when the pirates came along.

The Light Programme came from a big 50kw RCA transmitter at Moorside Edge, Huddersfield, about 18 miles away, which covered the whole of the North of England.

Very good photos and write-up here.

"I loved the place, the people, the countryside, the views ... and Elaine Taylor's canteen meals were legendary, prepared with kitchen equipment that was fed from the station's main 235v DC supplies:

"Na then, young Guy - don't you go messin' abaht wi' them diesels today - ah've got Yorkshire puddins' in t'oven an' they'll collapse ter nowt if you muck around wi t'electric!" "

Could be your radio had a fault with it's tuning.

FWIR the reception of Radio Luxembourg used to be very weak during the hours of daylight, about this time of year it used to "come in" as darkness fell over about 15-20 minutes at about 9-20 pm.

On donating my Brown Baekelite Bush radio to my 80 year old gran, and checking with her after 2 weeks she said she didn't like it, because "They are all black men on that wireless* ". 8-)

  • Probably Dutch from NOS Hilversum.

"Those were the days"

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

I know his early career.

Ah - yes. I'll say nowt.

I often saw him portering at LGI. That's class.

It was a property - a fault if you like - of the ancient set I was using.

to the North Home Service, the Light Programme was the modern equivalent of Radios 1 and 2.

Well, of course you had better taste than he had, as your children (if you have any) do. It's amazing how simple the older generation is and how lacking in taste.

Actually, Mares eat oats and does eat oats but little lambs eat ivy. A kid'll eat ivy too ... made absolute sense.

You prefer modern pop then. That could never be described as sweet.

But there again, you're young.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Malcolm Stewart" saying something like:

Fluff balls don't matter if they stick to the insides.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon