was hydro-elec, now unrealistic expectations

I encountered a lady who was in the market for a new motorhome. She didn't trust gas and wanted all-electric. Cooker, microwave, shower, the lot. It was explained that this would only be possible with a hook-up, and even then might be problematic. That wasn't good enough. She wanted to be able to wild camp, and run everything from batteries. A generator was out of the question apparently; too noisy and smelly and anyway who would make it go? I should mention this wasn't the sort of price bracket where a built-in self-start genny was even remotely feasible.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Mrs N Sturgeon by any chance?

Obviously not Mrs N Sturgeon then (salary £135,605)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

She could keep the engine running. That would provide space heating at least. Surely "wild" camping would involve cooking on a camp fire? And a swim in a local stream.

Reply to
Max Demian

And walking with a back pack , sleeping bag and tent or even less and making a bivouac as required. Not living in luxury in a tin wigwam.

GH

Reply to
Marland

It might be interesting to see the reaction when told the price of the inverter and battery setup that would be required to run an electric shower and cooker for any significant period! I will be many times the price of the caravan I suspect.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not to mention the practical problem of storage for the batteries and the charging apparatus required between trips.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Easier just to tow around a couple of SNAP-2's

newshound