Need tips for being homeless

There is a good chance that I will he homeless in about 11 days.

I am 67 years old and have been a responsible person.

I was evicted because I called the police on some residents who played loud music on numerous occasions late a night.

They will not give me a good rental history so I can move to another apartment.

None of my family is able to help as far as a place to live temporarily.

So far, I have thought of these ideas.

  1. Buying a tent, sleeping bag, and a coleman stove.

  1. Finding a wooded area where I could "camp out."

  2. I would need to find a storage place to move my furniture, etc. into.

  1. I have a bicycle with some saddle bags that I could use to get food.

  2. I guess I would need to get a P.O. Box so I can get my S.S. checks.

  1. Not sure how I could charge up my phone to pay bills and call my family.

(I have a power bank and it holds enough charge to charge my phone about 3 times.)

That is what I have so far.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
AK

Sorry to hear of your plight, Andy.

Perhaps the social service agencies in your area might be a better resource than this world wide home repair discussion group .. ? In my part of the world, evictions usually require a very valid reason - not a simple noise complaint - and often take about a year to complete - because of all the landlord-tenant laws ..

The homeless folks in my area have been offered these tiny homes ..

... to replace their tent cities.

Good luck; John T.

Reply to
hubops

People have lived in storage units along with their furniture.

Get your S.S. directly deposited to your bank account. I imagine you already have a credit and/or debit card. Places I've been seem a little more likely to take credit cards.

Is there such a thing as a solar powered phone charger? Yes, there is.

There must be something for sale at your local Walmart or electronics store.

Are you ex military or something like that? Maybe there would be help there.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Too many contradictory statements. SS had done direct deposit for many years. No PO box needed.

Reply to
Ed P

Maybe rent a mobile home? Camper of some sort?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If he is using his phone to pay his bills he has an account for direct deposit. Sounds like a troll to me.

Federal law mandates that all Federal benefit payments – including Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits – must be made electronically.

Reply to
Ed P

The solar part of those devices is usually a gimmick. If you read the reviews most people plug them into the wall to charge. The solar part works if you're in Arizona and very, very patient.

It's all about surface area. The 10w panels are typically 10x15 inches where the entire 'solar' phone charger is about 3x5.

The biggest caveat whatever the size is the sun has to shine.

I don't know about AKs area but the public library here realized they're in the digital age and there are plenty of outlets.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm going to assume you are a decent tenant and a future landlord won't be angry at me for these suggestions.

Perhaps you can write your own rental history referring to your current address and sign some phony name. Or have someone else sign it. Unless you live in a verrry small town most landlords won't know details of where you live and certainly not who the landlord is. Do any go visit prior addresses? You can make a phony email address so if they write the prior landlord for confirmation, it will still go to you. Maybe family or friend will answer a phone and endorse you, as if he were the landlord.

Do they all even ask for a references? Maybe if you keep looking you can find a place that doesn't, but if you know you were evicted for a reason that won't apply to the next place, that as you say, you're responsible, I don't see any real problem in providing the phony reference letter.

Details that got longer and longer once I started: At one of my jobs, the girl (oops... young woman) who sat next to me was upset one day. We were computer programmers, but the difference was, She had no experience at all when she got her job. She had two older sisters who were working programmers and maybe she'd had classes. One of them posed as her prior supervisor when her prospective employer called to verify employment. Once working whenever she didn't understand something at work, she'd ask her sisters. After a year, the boss was happy with her work and was going to give her a promotion, but the rules of the City of New York required them to verify her references again. Her sister no longer worked at the same phone number (before cell phones) and whoever answered had no idea who my co-worker was.

But like I saw, her work was good and they were not going to fire her. But she wasn't eligible for either the promotion or the salary increase unless she had a second year's experience and she had only one. But she was so embarrassed, she wanted to leave anyhow. She ended up going to Salamon Bros, a couple blocks away.

When I had a 4-bedroom apartment and 3 roommates, I had 2 long-term room roommates, but I did try to check out others before they moved in. Most lived within 5 blocks and I'd go over to pick up the rent check and ask their current roommates if they were okay. Of course the current roommate had reason to say they were, if he wanted to get rid of them. I knew that at the time. Also, I had a car and they usually didn't and I'd volunteer to help them move, and I liked being helpful but the driving reason was to see where they were living then.

One was living at a YMCA near Lincoln Center, and I asked the desk clerk if he owed money. He told one me he didn't. But he still turned out to be one of the worst roommates I ever had. In the drive from the Y, he kept trying to renegotiate the rent even though we'd agreed. I explained to him that this was not Iran and we didn't renegotiate. There were other things The big problem, the one occasion in 11 years that I had money in my dresser, I think he stole it. He suggested I search him, a little too eagerly I thought. I wanted to go away for the weekend abut was afraid to leave him alone in the apartment. I waited until he left for the day and I changed the locks. He was also student

5 blocks away and classes had not started so he was usually back in an hour or two, but that day he didn't come back until 5. I had to stay home all day because I wanted to be there. I opened the door a little and gave him the long letter I'd written. He went to the police and he even showed them the letter, which made him look pretty bad. The police called and I said I wanted to have a friend with me when he came for his stuff. They said, No need, because we'll come with him, and they did. It took him 20 minutes and they were getting impatient.
Reply to
micky

You're right. I wonder if I would have thought of that if I'd read to the end. I doubt it. But I hope you all liked my stories.

Reply to
micky

The lone one in front has a window, but one with an interior view shows no window.

I couldnt' live in a room w/o a window. I'd freak.

I guess I'lm lucky that I can stay here.

Reply to
micky

I have gotten a lot of good advice from this group on many O.T. topics.

The court told me I had to be out my May 3rd.

My manager made it clear that she will not give a good rental history.

That means no property will want to have me as renter.

I have applied for help from my local church and other social service agencies for food and rental assistance.

I have gotten food from several for which I am most appreciative.

They are limited as to what they can do.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Many thanks for the idea.

I can ride my bike to the library and charge the phone there.

It has 2 saddle bags I can use for groceries etc.

Andy

Reply to
AK

A po box is still a good idea.

Reply to
Thomas

Thanks.

Andy

Reply to
AK

I have direct deposit of my S.S. check.

I would need a P.O. box to receive my mail.

Andy

Reply to
AK

Reply to