was Dropped Kerb now : Pedestrian Visibility Splay

Chums

As per a previous thread, I now have to

a) get planning permission for a drob kerb as the road is a 'classified road' - nb it's not a particulary main road as they go, but heigh ho

b) ensure that I have a 'pedestrian visibility splay' of 1.5mx 1.5m with nothing over .6m in the way.

This latter is all fine and good, but try getting a clear example of what this actually is, and where the measurements start etc....

aaaaaaaaaaargh

Reply to
Maurice W

I could not resist looking up such a delightful phrase. Are the diagrammes in

any use?

(And yes, this is displacement activity.)

Reply to
Robin

================================== Take measurements (and possibly photos) of the neighbouring houses / kerbs and average them out if there's much difference. If your neighbours got permission then you should do so on the basis of your measurements unless there is a significant difference between your proposed layout and the adjacent properties.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The visibility splay is something that is required by the Highways Department and they don't take any notice of what may already exist, if it differs from what their rules say must apply to new entries to the class of road.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

================================== The OP has been given a specification (a 'pedestrian visibility splay' of

1.5mx 1.5m with nothing over .6m in the way' ) and using measurements of the layout of adjacent drives as a guide should be enough for an application.

Surely specifications don't change very much for domestic dropped kerbs unless there are specific reasons for change?

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Our council - or whatever department was responsible - raise our kerbs to prevent vehicles mounting the kerbs to park on pavements.

Then they put sloping 'ramps' at each side of every drive so that wheelchair users could access the pavement.

Result?

Do I need to say??

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Only prob for me is I'm not sure what the splay is and where it starts/ends : all the nearby houses have essentially taken down their front garden walls. Our house is about 5m wide, and there's a path down one edge of it leading to the front door at the side of the house, so as a rough measure the rest of the garden is 4m wide.

Maurice W

It is a classified road and IME the rules for visibility splays on classified roads do seem to change surprisingly often. I would not rely upon what has been done with any other drive, unless it has been built within the last year or so.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Only the Highways Department can tell you for sure, but, based on what I have had to do in the past, I would expect that to mean that measurements are taken from the point at which the centre line of the drive meets the edge of the footway furthest from the road. The splay would then extend 1.5m either side of that and 1.5m back into the drive.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Nicely put, IIMSS, though for the avoidance of doubt I think you mean the splay extends 1.5m either side of the edges of the drive. See for example figure 3 in

Robin

Actually, I meant exactly what I wrote, that the splay extends either side of the centre line of the drive. That is what my local planning department required, except that they wanted a 2m x 2m splay. However, that is in England.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Sorry about that.

It seems then that different planning departments express it differently (even within England - see eg

I guess this just reinforces your message to the OP to follow what *his* department wants.

Reply to
Robin

I've tried the emailing route to the Planning Dept locally, and got a response that it's been forwarded, and I will receive a reply 'within

10 days'.

so that suggests Colchester Borough Council aren't quite at the leading edge of 21st Century e-government....

I'd have thought that a dropped kerb is so common that the council would have a pack/PDF on their website!

Maurice W

Colchester BC is no longer responsible for highways. That is now (again) with Essex CC. So it may be that the BC planning officials are having to consult Essex CC highways colleagues.

Reply to
Robin

As I noted elsewhere in this thread, visibility splays on classified roads are dictated by the Highways Department. If you want a quick rely, that is the department you should contact.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar