marking a step for visibility

I have a step down from a stoop outside my front door. I want to mark it for visibility, especially in dim light. (I'll be putting up lights, but that'll still be a lot less than sunlight.)

What's the best way to mark it? (This is hard to google because words like "step" and "safety" get too many extraneous hits.) Upper? Lower? Riser? Paint? Color?

I know from one experience that this can be tricky. I have a similar step inside, covered by turquoise (sort of) carpet. I put a throw rug on the upper part. Made it quite visible, yet I tripped every time I went down. Moved the throw to the lower, and it works great. I still haven't figured out why.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

I painted a 2 inch step edge brite white because it was a trip hazard, it worked great. I used rust oleum white it worked fine. glass beads would make it briter but probably overkill'

later the sewer authority tore up my driveway and sidewalk which elminated that step.

whoever designed it had to be nuts, it was a real hazard

as was a 1 inch step at a school, I fell hard all the other steps were regular height. I went down hard carrying a piece of equiptement. they painted it safety yellow, and got repainted recently. I was in that building not long ago

use tape and \paint one inch top and one inch edge, end of problem

Reply to
hallerb

Have you thought about the reflective tape used on semi trailers and train cars?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Would it hold on concrete? Where would I get it? Sounds interesting.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

Hmm. That's probably within my capabilities. ;-)

Exactly my concern.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

The local farm supply store had some here. Maybe a hardware store in the automotive section. I don't know if places like NAPA would have it. I think I bought some at Walmart when I needed it. Maybe a truck stop? I don't know how it would stick to concrete. You could always use silicone to make it stick.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

paint is better, less chance of a future trip hazard

Reply to
hallerb

Look at this tape. Even comes in "Glow in the Dark"

(No affiliation or prior usage)

Reply to
Oren

Oren wrote the following:

It still requires that the surface be sealed and smooth. It will not stick to porous surfaces. Read the Application Instructions.

Reply to
willshak