Wanted: Large hole wire mesh

We have no fence on the end of our garden, which backs on to a field.

Occasionally we've had hares in the back garden, probably because our pond is a 100% reliable water source. We don't want to keep them out.

We have however had dogs in the garden, and we definitely want to keep them out.

Can anyone point me at a source of large mesh wire netting that won't keep hares out? I've failed to find a supplier that will allow me to search their range by mesh size.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Pig netting?

Reply to
charles

Wouldn’t standard stock fencing (from any agricultural supplier) do? Comes in different mesh sizes. I would guess that a hare could squeeze through a

30cm wide by 20 cm high mesh (but I could be wrong).
Tim
Reply to
Tim+

You need the fencing that has rectangular holes about 6x6 inches but the size/shape alters as it gets towards the ground.

Typically used for sheep

Andrew

I looked at sheep netting, but they seem oddly coy to tell you how big the holes are. (Sheep netting is often smaller vertically near the bottom than the top - though I could put it upside down...)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Give the man a coconut! Unlike all the suppliers I found that one actually tells you the mesh size!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Deer Control Fencing, eg:

Don't know if anyone does lengths shorter than 50m, though.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

As others have said, stock fencing should be OK. The sizes are standardised so a quick search will find something suitable. However, if you want something more substantial then reinforcing mesh is excellent and can be more-or-less self supporting - the standard size codes are described here:

nothanks

You want pig netting.

It will keep larger animals out but let rabbits and hares through. About a 4" or 6" mesh from your local agricultural suppliers.

Quite expensive since unlike chicken mesh it is heavy gauge wire.

Reply to
Martin Brown

maybe the C8/80/15 with 6" holes

Reply to
Andy Burns

Maybe some dogs can too?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Keeps the Lambs in:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Try asking your local agricultural supplier or nearest farmer with livestock. I'll bet I have a part roll somewhere:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think its called something different - its not a 'knitted' net like chicken wire, but more square sections that are spot welded at the intersections.

Hares should be able to get through a 4" hole OK.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's a size overlap between hares and dogs. Bill

Reply to
wrights...

Dachshunds or Greyhounds ?

Reply to
Andrew

Stock fencing

How it is specified

Check farm supplies - in a rural area where I stay on a regular basis they use wire stock fence around the field boundaries and keep sheep. It's something like a 120mm square. The fences also have a top string of barbed wire which increases the height to around 1 metre, but for a more domestic environment this could be changed.

Reply to
alan_m

Does that in fact mean you want to keep big animals in b but small ones can go both ways. I have been pondering this for hedgehogs. No, I've not solved it yet either. The other problem is that if it lets certain animals through, that means you end up with every cat within a mile or so in your garden leaving presents. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

How about tackling it from the other side. How far into your garden is the pond. Could a pipe be laid so that it forms a pond extension out to a sizable hole in the field? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The local cats have no problems scaling a 6 foot high fence!

The local foxes have no problems channelling under concrete gravel boards

Reply to
alan_m