Stopping View through Wire Mesh Fence and Gate

Neighbour has put up a thin wire mesh fence attached to wooden posts to replace a blown down wooden fence. It is obscured by shrubs both sides so it doesn't have to look smart.

He wants though to stop the view to inside his garden from people exploring the ground too closely from the public space outside the new fence.

He has also used a new metal gate from Wickes. What kind of material could be attach to this gate that will stop it being see-through? Thin wooden board on the gate is likely to rot unless given a lot of attention over the years?

Also is their something like a very thin Tarpaulin or something similar, that is not too heavy and that can he hung over the top part of the light wire mesh and wired on, to stop people seeing through ?

Reply to
john west

john west was thinking very hard :

I have seen people had what appears to be rushes, to gates and fences, to limit the view through them. The seem to come in a roll, so just a matter of rolling out and fixing in place.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Plenty of tarpaulins, ground-cover fabrics and meshes here.

Chris Hogg

polypropylene fluted board? It's what estate agent boards are made from, and they are very light and durable.

Reply to
GB

But, catch the wind badly, Wicks 'Reed Garden screening' will let the wind through

Reply to
charles

On 07 Mar 2022, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote

Yes - reed screening. I used it some years ago to solve a similar problem, and it solved the problem nicely. Lasted for a good few years, but eventually needed replacing.

Bought it at a garden centre; if memory sersves, it came in 4-metre rolls at various heights.

Reply to
HVS

If he didn't want people to look through, why did he install a mesh fence?

(Reminds me of a school games field near where I live where they put an opaque cover over the mesh fence. Presumably so the kids can play games in the nude. The cover was all blown away by the recent storms.)

Reply to
Max Demian

Good point.

Reply to
GB

Neighbour 'repurposed' an estate agents board to replace a broken glasshouse panel at ground level.

After only a couple of years it disintegrated under the effect of ?UV and weather.

Reply to
Andrew

Because it might be in a wind-prone area which wrecks standard panel fences after about 8 years or so.

Good quality galvanised chain link fences will last 30+ years.

Reply to
Andrew

Thin wire mesh doesn't appear to be the description of good quality galvanised chain link.

The question being asked now is how to make so no-one sees through it. The suggested solutions so far is for materials that may only last a few years before becoming tatty.

Reply to
alan_m

Although that may not matter given we are told that currently "It is obscured by shrubs both sides so it doesn't have to look smart" so in a few years time they may have grown into and over the fence so as to make it well nigh invisible.

Reply to
Robin