wallplate for triton tyne bar mixer fitting

I have my delivery of the tyne bar mixer. It is surprisingly heavy. It does NOT have the cranked fittings, but a straight male 3/4" BSP (shower end) to male 1/2" BSP adapter. The bar fixes to the 3/4" BSP using a captive nut and washer. So the supplied male/male adapter connects to females on the wall and shower. In order to get the mounting perfectly spaced (150mm as usual) and strongly fitted, I intend to make a strong backplate to hold the fittings/pipes etc, that will itself be fixed to chased brickwork. Triton have just started making a similer plate, but both pipes must enter from below so not suitable (item not on their website yet).

What material to use as the backplate ? (wet plaster on it etc)

The whole lot will be buried in plaster. (The cold feed wrapped in tape, the hot feed in a 20mm plastic conduit to allow for expansion). Also, the hot pipe will enter from below, the cold pipe maybe from a diagonal (same chase for both pipes). I am not an expert in metalwork. What material (galv steel etc) ? should I use ? I may end up with brass outside tap elbows bolted to the plate, but fixing those direct to the brick will never get the alignment accurate enough without packing out / hassle etc.

A further issue. I may chuck the BSP adapters. They look rather long to my eye. If I do, what is the most standard fitting to have in the wall, so that in the future other brands of mixers may be fitted ? For my shower, a male 3/4" BSP sticking out of the wall would allow the shower to bolt straight on, but this may not be a good idea for re-use.

Sorry for lots of questions in one post. TIA Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Well, I'll add some more. This may be of use to someone one day ! The Triton Tyne bar mixer is very heavy. I think I will mount a plate across the front of the chiseled out brick "hole", and use the panel mount option and also fix at the rear with BSP plate elbows or some such. There is no way the heavy item would be stable only fixed at the back in the BSP elbow. It would also put strain on the pipe joints. The front would only be held by the plaster, tile and conical shroud. It would only take someone to lean on it and the the tile would crack or the conical shroud would bend (its very thin metal). There was a previous poster who had fitted this model, but I think they were fitting it to a panel. Also (right pain) some of filter / flow limiter parts that fit in the long adapter were missing. I will try to get them from the manufacturer

- can't be worth returning the item just for them. This model cannot have the cranked adapter if you want to use it for high pressure, since the limiter would have nowhere to go. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson