Wall sockets for shallow backboxes

Hi. I want to fit new 13A wall sockets into 25mm deep metal backboxes. Space for (ring) cables seems very tight. Is there a manufacturer/range of sockets that has a shallower body at the back, leaving more room for the cables? Cheers Steve

Reply to
Steve

You really would be better replacing the boxes. This will always be a problem especially if you decide later to add a spur socket.

Reply to
Peter Scott

There is always plenty room around the sides of the box, or has someone left the cables to short? :-)

The normal way would be to dress the cable around the edges of the box before folding the ends into the connections.

Reply to
BigWallop

I agree - the best solution would be to replace the boxes, but I'm trying to avoid it, because it'll be a messy/fiddly job for someone as clumsy as me (I'd have to cut into blockwork as well as avoid cosmetic damage to the surroundings).

There is definitely a commerical opportunity (IMHO) for someone to manufacture a range of sockets that stick out an extra few mm to create a few extra mm of working space at the rear.

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Sounds sensible. There should be enough cable to route it around the edges, so I'll probably end up doing that. I'm not very good with fiddly jobs so would prefer extra space though.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve

TLC's "Ultimate" range seem to be shallower than some. They also have twin earth connections (one at each end) which can make wire routing simpler.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yes - at worst, the flat metal Ultimate actually states a 35mm box. IME,

25mm is fine for most traditional sockets with a bit up top, but you have to try to tidy the wires and preform the bends so they tend to settle into the right places when you screw the plate down.

My father's opinion was that if you couldn't push the plate home by hand without brute force, take it off and try again until you can.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

The ultimate ones are not flat metal - they are the plastic ones with the slightly curved fronts and the little plugs that close the screw holes.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

For the first time in living memory I must beg to differ John

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Agreed - but ever driven the screws through the insulation? (Power on - Mmm, I'll just line up the screw head slots or level the switch/ socket - Bang!)

Reply to
John

Ooooh! ;-)

Remember I did say TLC's:

John Rumm

Not if dressed right into the edges, where they should be in a properly dressed out back box. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Fairy-nuff :-)

Reply to
Tim S

I thought MK had done that?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Many thanks to all (and esp. to John Rumm). I'll go for the "Ultimate" white moulded range.

The description at

says "Minimal back projection to allow installation using standard flush mounting boxes for both new and retro-fits" and a 25mm box is actually recommended.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Some old Ashleys used to be supplied new with matching 18mm boxes. I dont know if they do anything like that today, but might be worth checking.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Most plastic sockets can be fitted to 25mm boxes with care. But the fashion is for flat plate metal designs which can't. And most will be replacing existing sockets for fashion reasons.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or worse still just enough damage to the insulation to cause the RCD to trip every now and again.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

CPC sell 10mm spacers that you can install behind a socket to add a little more room in the box.

Reply to
John Rumm

Naff.

Reply to