VPN

Any recommendations for a good VPN to allow acess to BBC iPlayer outside the U.K. ?

Reply to
fred

I use Proton VPN for those times I want to be some one/where else. They do a free version along with a free version of their superb mail service.

Just tried logging onto i-player via a hop through CH and back to UK without any problems. (no.rdns.ukservers.com 78.157.211.236)

Netflix on the other hand appear to be building up a database of VPN exit servers as they've blocked access everytime I've left VPN connected; BBC at this moment in time haven't adopted such measures but they do have a history of shielding the kind of people for whom anonymity is of paramount importance.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Isn't a simple proxy much simpler to set up and also impossible to detect as it will likely be running on a home system which is a perfectly valid place to connect from.

It's trivial to set up a proxy using ssh for example.

Reply to
Chris Green

Not that trivial. First you need to have a uk server and then you need to make it reliable, if it is unsupervised.

I'm curious what content is it that people want from iPlayer they can't get from somewhere else.

Reply to
Paul Welsh

One to rule out is Private Internet Access. Both iPlayer and Netflix don't like it.

Reply to
Steve

N != L

Reply to
Mark

Hardly difficult, nor expensive. Virtual servers are becoming steadily cheaper. Plus you don't even need a server of your own, all that's needed really is a UK based system where you have an ssh login account.

Reply to
Chris Green