Gas release valve?

What are those things you see in the middle of nowhere (in the UK at least), a 10 foot high white pole with an orange roof-shaped lid on top? I gather they're to release excess gas from the mains and burn it off, but why would that be necessary? Surely they wouldn't put more than the correct pressure in anyway? Any excess could be released at the source at the gas plant? I've never known of one actually operate. I can't find a picture of one on Google as I don't know what they're called. Searching for pressure release just shows domestic valves.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Hi-viz poles to allow the chopper to follow the pipeline route easily.

Reply to
Andy Burns

They're not just markers, I'm sure they can actually let off gas.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They are simple makers for the helicopter that checks the pipeline to follow with its airborne leak checker. One of the high pressure pipelines runs close to me. They also mark the no dig zone at the roadside (permission required from the pipeline owner Ineos or Shell).

Reply to
Martin Brown

Everyone knows the tiny island nation is full of gas!

Reply to
Colonel Edmund J. Burke

That seems unfair; after a boring day mashing up roadside culverts and the occasional fibre duct, a high pressure gas pipeline would be quite an exciting find for JCB operator.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

My local council once dug through a gas pipeline in my street. Unfortunately it didn't catch light and blow one of the dimwits to kingdom come, so there was just a smell of gas, some workmen running about hurriedly making phonecalls, and no gas for the afternoon.

What I like is when snowploughs destroy those stupid f****ng bollards on chicanes, as they can't see them in deep snow. I removed one myself once when I had an old Range Rover. They're plastic and smash up easily.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Are you sure? I looked at one once and I'm sure it had some kind of valve in it to let gas out. When I asked someone at the time, I was told that if it had let off pressure and ignited it, the bright orange lid would have been blackened, signifying there had been a problem.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You think they're going to allow gas at 1200 psi up a tiny pole at the side of the road for tom, dick and harry to crash into?

Reply to
Andy Burns

A) I didn't know it was that high a pressure, in fact I thought it might just be the final house pressure.

B) It's better to let it off in a flame (and they're usually on quiet B roads) than to let it build up and cause an explosion.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes one round the back of my l place. They had to fiddle with the pressure though as everyone heard a throbbing from the thing at night. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If it makes a noise, it can't just be a marker.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Shame the don't remove the whole chicane and return the road to a proper thoroughfare for traffic without causing it bunch up at each end waiting its turn to get into the chicaned-off part.

Reply to
NY

The main pipelines run at some insane pressures & they don't vent. The estimate for the SPL at 100m if our pipeline was breached is 140dB.

Martin Brown

I did wonder how they could distribute all that gas at 1.1 bar. I guess there's a lot of complicated valves somewhere to change the "voltage" as it were? Do they ever fail and put high pressure into the final piping? I dread to think what would happen if the "insane" pressure got into your boiler.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There are pressure reducing meters at pretty much every point-of-use which reduce the line pressure to a pressure compatible with standard appliances; you may notice that some meters have a much smaller inlet pipe than the outlet pipe (e.g. commercial premises) due to the need to for more volume at the lower pressure.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

So the meter outside my house reduces the pressure? I thought the pressure was lowered for the whole street, like a substation reduces the electricity to 240V.

I had noticed on older houses there's some kind of valve seperate from the meter (often exposed to the outdoor weather!), presumably nowadays it's inside the meter.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Your meter has a regulator that drops from an already lowish pressure to

20mbar.

Tim Watts

Do you often have a problem with people taking the piss?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

+1.

In the old days, there were tall vent stacks for sewers. Cast iron with nice "petals" at the top, about the height of a telegraph pole. In urban areas.

Reply to
newshound