Natural Gas Excess Flow Valve Install?

Does anyone know anything about EFVs and if I should install one? Benefits?

My natural gas utility has offered me the opportunity to install an Excess

Flow Valve (EFV) on the gas supply line to my house. This valve is supposed

to "automatically restrict the flow of natural gas if the service line

breaks outside the home".

The installation charge is $65, but there is a "maintenance charge" of $900

if it ever breaks or needs to be removed.

It appears that this is an optional component-- I can either request one or

not.

Does anyone know anything about these EFVs and if I should request one?

Here is what they have to say about it:

"Excess Flow Valve

The Company shall provide written notice of the benefits and

availability of Excess Flow Valves (EFV) in accordance with the

United States Department of Transportation Regulation 49 CFR

Part 192.383.

Installation of an EFV shall be made by the Company in the case

of a new service line or a scheduled replacement service line,

upon the customer's request and upon payment by the customer of

the Installation Charge stated below. Installation of an EFV

where the service line is not a new or scheduled replacement

service line shall be available only upon the customer's

request and payment of the below-stated Maintenance Charge.

Installation of an EFV shall only be available where service is

provided to a residential single family dwelling served from a

delivery system with a pressure of ten (10) pounds per square

inch or greater throughout the year, and where the service line

is connected directly to the gas distribution main.

Installation Charqe: $65.00 per EFV installation

Maintenance Charge: $900.00

The Maintenance Charge is for the repair, removal or

replacement of an EFV at a' premises. The Maintenance Charge

shall be paid by the customer who requested installation of the

EFV at that premises, if that customer still takes service at

that premises. The Maintenance Charge is based on excavation

and construction costs under unobstructed surface and soil

conditions (i.e. sod, sidewalks, and pavement). Additional

costs due to obstructed surface conditions (i.e. buildings and

fences) and underground conflicts (i.e. other utility lines and

sprinkler systems) will be charged to the customer. Prior to

the repair, removal or replacement of an EFV, the Company shall

make a reasonable attempt to inform the customer of any

additional charge due to known obstructions.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

I think you could easily install the same equipment on *your* side of the meter......

Suggest call your gas company's customer service dept and ask to speak with Mr. Ben Dover--Im sure he will straighten your ass right out.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT