Gas release valve?

But is it usable? Say the input failed for a while, could we use up what's in the high pressure pipes? Could they transfer it all to low pressure at the normal rate?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why do you think gasometers have nearly all disappeared? Our reserves are now stored in the pipeline.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I thought it was piped in from the north sea, Russia, whatever.

P.S. why did they always stink? Well the ones on Dock Street, Dundee did anyway.

So presumably this pipeline is variable pressure?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

" Methodology

We determine NTS linepack by calculating the volume of gas within the NTS pipelines, using a network model and instantaneous measurements. The model contains a database of NTS pipeline diameters and lengths, updated as required to accommodate changes to the network.

The NTS is divided into pipeline sections, and the volume of gas within each section is determined by multiplication of the pipe free volume by the ratio of the gas density at actual conditions to the gas density at standard temperature and pressure.

The actual gas density is computed from a standard equation of state applying pressure, temperature and specific gravity data. The pressure is derived from telemetered measurements at the beginning and end of the pipeline section, and an average network gas temperature is applied. The specific gravity is determined from telemetered measurements at NTS entry and exit points according to a fixed mapping arrangement. The network model then summates the calculated volume of gas for each pipeline section to compute total NTS linepack.

The opening NTS linepack for a gas day, which is equivalent to the closing NTS linepack for the preceding gas day, will be the volume calculated by the network model as close to the start of the gas day as possible."

From this page

you can reach

which is a graph showing the pressure variations.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Why did we used to need gasometers? Surely a high pressure pipeline isn't something really technologically advanced?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Because of the way gas was generated then, locally, instead coming out of the ground hundreds of miles away.

Correct. bit not necessary when the gas is generated locally.

Reply to
Jac Brown