Gas release valve?

Wow, 20mbar is damn low, I'm surprised that has the desire to move along the pipe.

How do things like camping stoves work? I assume the pressure inside a butane cannister is much higher than that, and I don't think they have pressure reducers.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

When I don't know what the device does, there's no way of telling which answer is truthful.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

As a kid, did you ever climb one and block it?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They do have pressure reducers for the bigger stuff like barbeques.

Reply to
Jac Brown

I presume that the needle valve and feed to it is sized to be very restrictive for the simple screw on burners.

The bigger ones fed by hose from a Calor cyclinder or the like have

28mBar regulators for butane or 37 mBar ones for propane. The different pressures allowing for the different calorific values of the two gases when using the same size jets, so allowing interchanging bottles depending upon the ambient temperatures. Butane won't gas off from the liquid on a cold day.

With high flows, such as a water heater (my parents' one needed a regulator capable of 4kg of per hour), the boiling off of the gas can cool the bottle too much and reduce gassing, so even in the summer, they had to use two butane bottles in parallel or a single propane one.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

For example, I have a twin burner (Tilly) stove. It's fed from a butane cannister. Since I could operate one or both burners at different rates, there can't be a limiter anywhere that could work unless it's clever enough to adjust pressure independant of flow rate. Perhaps the pressure is quite high, but the taps to control the burners are what restricts it?

I wasn't aware of that, so I can't use a butane camping stove in winter?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Or a separate restrictors before each valve - probably just the valve design though.

Basically correct. You may get away with it, but when temperatures are down to about 4°C, the cylinder cools a little further as the gas is used and it gets the bottle too cold to boil any more gas off. It is not actually a sudden cut-off, it is a reduction in the rate of boiling and so the gas flow is too low for the burners.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I didn't know that. I've never used a stove in cold temperatures. So anyone camping in winter uses propane?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Strangely, I find the common sense I was born with answers that question pretty conclusively. There could be no circumstances in which excess gas needed to be discharged randomly in the middle of the countryside. If it were necessary it would be done at the origin or termination of the line, and it is equally unlikely that any leak of gas would be deliberately ignited. There can be no doubt about this.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Well that's what I thought, and was made clear in my original post.

But.... I've seen them. They are not poles with a bright orange marker on top, they have a mechanism inside, they clearly do something with the gas.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes, you have to. Otherwise no cooking or heating when it's cold.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Somebody 'found' the underground fuel line when it ran through the grounds of a large estate, and they dug down, tapped into it and nicked loads of diesel.

Reply to
Andrew

Yeah, the pipeline company never bothers to measure how much product enters and leaves the pipeline, so they'd never notice such a crime.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I can't tell if that's sarcastic.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm surprised they don't say on them they're restricted to warm days. Cold days are when you're more likely to use them!

I could understand them not mentioning it if the limit was below -20C or something. But someone said even 6C causes problems.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Andy Burns posted for all of us...

Keep this post in the UK.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Don't you have gas in the USA? That's real gas, not that liquid you put in your cars.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There are 325 million people in the US who call it gas

There are 66 million people in the UK who call it petro.

We took a vote, you lost.

Reply to
Grumpy Old White Guy

ote:

put in your cars.

Percentages too difficult for you at school were they?

And learn basic chemistry. Gas floats, liquid pours.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The high pressure network represents a significant proportion of the country's stored gas.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel