Virgin Media - disabled priority repair

Temp repairs. I could not give a f*ck that VM think about them/

I have probably "temp fixed" about 30 Virgin media cables that have been damaged due to spade damage and all cables were no deeper than 2 inches.

Reply to
ARW

Bloody hell you can get a data SIM from a mobile Telco and use that as a backup!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Back in the day there were differing Cable TV companies some were much better than others in their installation standards but IIRC London was far from the best, perhaps terry casey will know more?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Of course you can. I was just pointing out that you *can* get enhanced care from BT from resellers.

(note that I do have enhanced care from BT, but I also have a data SIM and automatic failover, including automatically having all of my IP addresses routed via the data SIM if the line fails)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Interesting

It's 11 years since I retired and, obviously, progress didn't stop dead at that point!

Also, all my experience was of the ntl: side of what became VM

- I've no idea what any of the constiuent operators who formed Telewest did.

Reply to
Terry Casey

I think VM may only be using VOIP where they've installed the infrastructure for FTTP. I know of no one around here (not yet FTTP-ready) who has ever been offered it, even though the "Superhub 3" routers have the sockets.

Reply to
Robin

All the companies that I had any invovement with used contractors, both for construction and installation.

The difference was that the cable operator employed inspectors to keep tab of what was going on in the construction phase but there was no control whatsoever over the installation crews.

The contractors were supposed to have their own supervisors but they never seemed to pay any attention to the quality of the work which was, as has already been said, in the main, diabolical.

From what Adam has said, the situation is no different in the North East and what little I've seen in Lincoln is no better.

What I will say is that I haven't seen any open cabinets up here - whhich a pity as I would have taken a peek inside to see what Diamond Cable's network construction was like!

I have worked in Lincoln a couple of times but only in the headend, doing internet upgrade work.

I've spent more time in the Nottingham headend where the way additional racks have been shoe-horned into impossible spaces would giva an H & S inspector a coronary! (Solid floor - all cabling is overhead, often in places where it is impossible to (safely) use a ladder!)

Reply to
Terry Casey

How will you/he know its working? Adding odd bits into a coax network can create reflections and cause dead spots in other bits of the network remote from where the odd bit is. I have seen thinnet networks where some computers could see some servers and others could see different servers and the other computers all due to people putting in odd bits of coax to "extend" the network.

Reply to
dennis

Note "Enhanced Care" I'm not certain that is the same as "Total Care" from BT.

Provided you pick a provider who uses a network that offers decent data speeds (or even a signal) for the location. You pick a provider who allows tethering. You pick a provider who will allow you to use a sensible amount of data/day. When the kids where home, particularly No.1 daughter, we'd be getting through something between 5 and 10 GB/day. At mobile data costs that level of use doesn't come cheap... (the 4G backup I have is £15/6GB...).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not everyone lives in a Cumbrian black hole Dave;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Terry Casey scribeth thus

Round our neck of the woods its was Comcast, a mate of mine who is in the Cable industry says its one of the better builds, some were very very poor...

Reply to
tony sayer

Can I guess at this one or is this question just for special needs posters?

I am going to guess that Martin knows it is working because it is working.

Reply to
ARW

One of the things they are rather sensitive about is Egress and Ingress to their network they do have in some of their vans sniffer receivers that can detect leakage.

Sometimes cased by illicit taps into their network usually using a very poor grade of co-ax....

Reply to
tony sayer

You/he can always phone and follow the menu for problems with broadband. They'll check the levels automatically. If they are a bit low they can usually boost the signal remotely without any need for an engineer visit.

Reply to
Robin

In message , tony sayer writes

Tapping into today's cable TV / broadband systems might get you lots of RF signals - but there's nothing that you can actually use.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

It is working for *him* and that is all I care about. If Virgin took more care installing their kit properly and didn't employ lazy cowboys to do their cable runs the problem would not have arisen.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Thanks Robin. I'll tell him to do that. He is very tech savvy but now mostly housebound. He's a Unix & Hackintosh expert amongst other things.

Reply to
Martin Brown

In article , Ian Jackson scribeth thus

Well i hear that bent boxes are still in use in parts;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Ours was done very well a buried duct right up to the house around a foot or so deep. But as said elsewhere some areas were done much better than others;!

Reply to
tony sayer

provider

£15/6GB...).

Only the first sentance is relevant to "a Cumbrian black hole". There's even a gotcha in that, the network might offer 4G where you are but the provider might not.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice