Vertical dpm on outside wall of garage?

I asked a while back about how to bodge from the inside to prevent water seeping in though our garage wall that is also a retaining wall for next door's garden.

Well, I bodged away - effectively ignoring it and directing the water seep to where it could do no harm.

However, I've since found out that our garden is doing the same to our other neighbour's garage, so I need to fix that properly. She suggested digging a trench to below the garage damp proof course and filling with gravel. Having dug a test hole, I can see that this is pretty much what the builders did 25 years ago, but they used stones rather than gravel and didn't isolate them from the adjoining bed, so it's clogged up over time.

So two questions:

  1. If I dig a trench out, line with something like that weed control matting, refill with gravel/stones and edge with gravel board (or similar) to keep the bed out of it, will that work well? The damp proof course is 400mm below the surface of the bed. How far down beyond that should I go? I know the standard is 150mm, but that's where the course is above ground.

  1. Vertical DPM/paint. I'd prefer to do this, assuming that you get a better result. I've been searching this group and the internet, but I can't find an idiot's guide to how to do it (or even a hint as to what to do :) ). Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Bromley86

Another possibility is to place "drainage sheet" against the wall and then backfill with soil.

Drainage sheet is a combination of a dimpled plastic sheet with a fibrous filter fabric. It allows water to drain to the bottom of the wall without building up hydrostatic pressure. The water still needs somewhere to go though - perhaps a hole in the wall in a convenient place?

John

Reply to
jrwalliker