Velux window replacement and building warrants

Hi All,

I need to ask your esteemed collective advise again...

We are replacing 3 of the four velux windows in our converted loft in Edinburgh. We contacted the council and were told that we would not need building warrants. So we started the process of putting it all in place...

Then we read the regs more carefully. We are putting larger Velux windows in place and so we *do* need a warrant; we've been informed it will take 5-6 weeks to grant. We are replacing three 550x780 centre pivots with two 78x1400 top pivots and one 660x1180 centre pivot. The existing windows cut one rafter each; the new ones will not require another rafter to be cut and they will be placed such that they satisfy the fire-escape regs. We're also installing insulation which wasn't present when the loft was converted.

We're getting an architect in to do proper drawings and a builder to do the installations. He has said it should be OK to go ahead without the warrant being in place as he regards it as a straightforward job. We're also keen to get this work done before the winter sets in in earnest and the sooner we can move the more likely the weather is to be clement for the work.

Should we proceed or hold off until we have the warrant?

Thanks - Adam...

Reply to
adamomitcheney

There's no Building Notice procedure in Scotland, as in England/Wales, where you can start the work 48 hours after notifying the Council. It is now legally possible to start work without a warrant, but you have to apply for one before it is completed and the Council can charge a higher fee and may ask for work to be exposed. The council will (for a fee) verify completed work, but with obvious risk.

It sounds as though you've got all the angles covered, so it's probably a good risk if you can afford the extra fee. Maybe you could ask Building Control what the extra cost is and what they will be looking for when checking the work. Will the builder put his money where his mouth is and underwrite any extra cost for starting without approval? :o)

Reply to
Peter Taylor

which counts as new work, not replacement...

If the architect/builder says *in writing* that the proposals are fully compliant with the Scottish Building Standards then it is probablys afe enough to go ahead.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

-88-

Thanks Peter - we'll check with the council as to how much extra we might have to pay. That may also give us guidance as to how sympathetic they are...

Leaving the work exposed shouldn't be a big issue, as we are insulating and boarding it ourselves. We will, in any case, be applying before the work is started, I hope.

Cheers - Adam...

Reply to
adamomitcheney