Preferred position for Velux windows?

Is there a preferred position for Velux windows (closer to the original house wall or closer to the new exterior wall?) in the roof of a single storey extension to maximise light penetration into the original house?

I was going to place them midway between the two but I noticed that someone across the way has got them very close to the original house wall. The extension is three metres deep, the room behind which previously had a patio door to the outside, about 3.5 metres.

Also, is there any guideline figure for window area? We're looking at putting two 780 x 980mm windows in a 6 x 3m roof area.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Mick6

I suspect most people locate them having regard to what is underneath. Do you want to lie in bed looking up at one?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The lower down the roof slope the more floor area light. The higher up the roof the light will go further back into the room.

Reply to
keith_765

If the extension roof is shallow enough to walk on, it's a good idea to leave enough space between the original wall and the Velux windows so you can wash the upstairs windows and clear the gutters comfortably.

Reply to
LSR