velux/ dormers

Due to start my self build shortly. Have obtained planning for a traditional 2 storey house but initially designed to have traditional cut roof with purlins. I now want to use the attic space for the master bedroom with ensuite which can be achieved easily. I know from initial discussions with the L.A. that they would not want dormers to the front elevation, conservation area. Here I can use velux windows, however someone has suggested that they are noisy compared to dormers, so do I put dormers on the back, or use velux as well. Does any one know if I need planning permission for velux windows/ dormers.

Regards Legin

Reply to
legin

Ours are quite noisy when it rains. Doesn't bother us, but I'm sure it would keep others awake. Vertical windows in dormers would suffer less from rain-noise (depending on direction), of course.

Reply to
Johan

My bedroom has a dormer to the front, Velux in the ensuite at the back. The front is on a road that's hardly busy, but still has fast noisy vehicles throughtout the night (boy racers and ambulances). The only noise I've ever noticed from the Velux is the scratch of crowfeet perching on it. Pigeons will perch on the roof or chimney, but crows will sit right on the frame and peck the glass - most disconcerting if you're in there !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not that I am aware of (although in a conservation area it might be different).

Regards noise, remember that a flat roof dormer will be just as noisy as a roof window.

Reply to
John Rumm

It should be possible to insulate a flat roof against rain noise rather easier than a window.

I've got a flat roof at the back of my house - a sort of full width dormer, if you want, with the window over the rear wall and forming near all of it up to the roof. Rain noise isn't a problem. It's ply with roofing felt, 2" polystyrene insulation then skimmed plasterboard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

around here you need planning permission for both, and they won't allow velux in the front... but a single storey chapel conversion up the street has 2 dormers on the front

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

One year I had a sparrow who did this to the front window. And another who sat on the car mirror and pecked at the bird underneath him - opening his bowels regularly. Luckily, Darwin's Law applied. No sparrows round here anymore.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its not a problem as such, more just an observation that you can usually hear heavy rain on a flat roof more than you can on a tiled one - partly because you are closer to the point of impact.

The 20 sq m one I built has three layers of hot bonded felt and tar (plus additional reflective layer) over 3/4" ply, 85mm PIR foam, firrings, and 6" roof joists before 12.5mm PB and skim. That is probably a slightly heavier construction than many flat roofs but you can still hear heavy rain on it. The roof windows are probably louder, but they are a much smaller area.

Reply to
John Rumm

not normally though you need to check the local rules in a conservation area, The problem isn's to much the window it's the brand. You need to use the metal framed ones designed for conservation areas.

quite often (usually?) yes

Reply to
Mike

What does your planning permission say? Many have restrictions on how much you can alter the approved design. The quicket way is to ask the planners.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

There appear to be no restrictions in the planning conditions. Initial discussions specifically against dormers to the front but would accept on the back. Didn't particularly want any thing on the front either but at a push would accept velux. L.A. Initially wanted two houses so I omitted the attic detail to apply for a "smaller house". If I had applied for a 5 bed at the outset they would have probably insisted on two. Hence unsure whether to go dormer or velux to rear. Fire regs for an opening accessable window make it difficult at the back as access would be over a single storey addition. I have spoken to the L.A. and have a meeting this morning. They have asked for a drawing showing the alterations which they will consider under minor ammendments. Still do not know if I actually need planning permission for the windows or not though. If I didn't then I could leave out the windows that I am unsure about and decide on them latter. L.A. is being vague and asking for all details to be on a drawing. Suppose put them on a drawing and alter again to suit the build. Regards Legin

Reply to
legin