planning permission - objections due to "loss of view"

I am considering the purchase of a house with a mind to demolishing the existing garage to the side of the property and replacing it with a 2 storey extension.

I dont think it will block out anybodys daylight, but it may restrict the view of the opposite houses to the beutiful coutryside behind the extension. However, they would still be able to see some of it through the gap remaining above the neighbour's garage, next to the potential extension (the "gap" would have become half its previous size dues to the new extension).

Does anyone know whether the reduction of someones scenic view in this way would be a valid reason for objection, and whether it might cause the planning applicaiton to be rejected?

Kind regards,

Dave Dixson.

Reply to
Dave Dixson

A variation on RTFM is "consult your friendly planning office".

They are the people to ask - they will be able to tell you if they are likely to pass such a scheme, and the things they would not like.

For such a major decision I would not rely on NG responses, however well informed.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

No one has the right to a view. Any objections on that point would be dismissed. You don't have the right to direct sun either, unlike other more civilised countries. Light is a different matter, and even that you not fully entitled to in certain circumstances.

Reply to
IMM

Even if it is totally correct planning depts interpret laws differently, or are a law unto themselves.

Reply to
IMM

I phoned my local planning office recently and was told that if I sent them a map of the area together with a sketch and description of what I proposed, they'd give me a "probably yes" or "probably no" answer within

10 days at no charge

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Glad you are not my neighbour!

I dont think anyone will be able to object to loss of view but if the area is listed in any way (AONB for example or national part, it might be a case of refusal because your extension is not in keeping with the nature of the area and development plans in general, ( in other words, the planning dept think it will be an eyesore or it will stick out like a sore thumb somehow.)

You need to ask the planning dept. Might just be they are proposing building a block of flats just behind you to block your view too ( nemesis - too good to be true I guess!)

Reply to
mich

Buy the property first then see about devoloping it.

Reply to
Wheelbarrowbob

That reminds me of when I stayed in a high rise flat belonging to a friend of a friend in Vancouver. She was complaining because another high rise block was being built, obscuring her view. When I said that perhaps the view was spoiled for previous people living there by her block she said no, the only inhabitants in those days were Indians.

Presumably they couldn't see the view anyway ...

Do you live in a transparent house?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

See what I mean about NG advice? :-))

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Local Planning varies slightly from one area to another and for a definitive answer you would be best advised to consult them first however, 'Loss of Light' is not a valid reason for rejection unless there are specific extenuating circumstances. Such as if your neighbour had an established crop garden which would appreciably from the loss. There have been cases of this but they were resolved in court.

However, there are planning rules governing whay you propose to do. Ypu might look into 'Change of Use' [Garage to living space] Also you do need permission if you increase existing living space by a volume greater than 40% except loft conversions where there was no previous living space.

If you are removing the facility of a garage, there may be concerns about parking. That is, some areas restrict parking outsode of residences to 1 vehicle. If you have two cars and remove the garage, will there be space for the two vehicles off the road? I am not saying that this will apply to you but you might check if your local authority has such a policy.

Other considerations to smooth the way are type of roof and materials used. Position of windows - will a neighbours privacy be interfered with. This is not a planning requirement but a possible source of objection from a neighbour. You might talk to your neighbours and get their view and perhaps quash any worries they might 'suddenly' think of after you have started the planning process.

This just from my experience of a similar project. Tip - make contact with your local Parish Council and get their views. They have sight of all plans before approval and though any objections they might have will not necessarily hinder your project, if they do object - even under a misunderstanding - then it may delay your time schedule and present more headaches. If they are aware they may also be able to offer some useful advice or point you towards areas where they know the PA will object. Forewarned is forearmed.

HTH

Reply to
kqr

I live in a bungalow and I dont obscure anyones view of the horison for several miles around!

What I cant understand is why anyone would want to buy a house with a view to extending it - either because they dont like it or because the house is too small for them as it stands, sufficient that they need to extend before they actually get there, then surely it would be more reasonable to find a place that was big enough and that they liked?

Reply to
mich

In message , mich writes

I bought a house with the express intention of extending it. It was more economic to buy what we could easily afford and then add on a granny annexe for the mum in law rather than buy a place with one already there.

Reply to
Bill

I've just had planning permission granted for a 2 storey extension replacing a garage, no objections, no discussions, I honestly don't think they even had the application out of the file at the planning office. I rang them on the last day and the planning officer couldn't remember it, then found it, said when's the deadline, I said today, he said Oh yes, I'll send it off, then 2 days later we had a reply to say it was granted. It blocks the view of my neighbour over the road, and overlooks the other at the back. The side neighbour will now see windows of habitable rooms rather than the side of the garage. (far enough away). No one objected. And we live in a conservation area. I'm convinced that what made the difference was that before we even got plans drawn, we sent the planners a rough sketch and asked them to comment. Then we took account of what they said (really only the height of the thing) and asked them round again to look at the finished plans. Nice people. Then by the time we did the application they were pretty happy anyway. Mind you it's taken forever, with all the to ing and fro ing. Worth it though for the easy ride. Now I've only got to build it. Nat.

Reply to
Nat

Perhaps because house prices are shooting through the roof and if you're not already on the ladder you're stuffed?

I wouldn't be able to get a mortgage on the house I'm in if I was to buy it now, despite the fact my salary has more than doubled in the past 6 years since we bought the house and we didn't get the maximum possible mortgage at the time. And I'm only in a terraced house up north.

Reply to
Craig Graham

I like it - can we have CYFPO (and its counterpart, CYFBCO) in the FAQ please?

Better yet, get yourself along to their office clutching said sketch. You can usually get far more info out of them face-to-face, and you can often pick up useful vibes or 'off-the-record' remarks which you wouldn't get in a letter or even over the phone.

David

Reply to
Lobster

If they object, that would of course be their major concern. It's not held to be a valid reason to reject permission, so long as that is the only factor they raise, then you benefit as their objection would not be considered.

There was a London case where the occupiers of Bankside Lofts & Millennium Tower objected to an application to build a new block nearby facing the Thames next to the Tate Modern. Their claims of loss of view, subsequent loss of value, and infringement of privacy contrary to the ECHR (Human Rights) were not able to persuade the inspector to reject planning permission.

"The inspector considered carefully the various matters which were said to constitute losses of amenity to the local residents or more general objections to the proposal. He noted and regretted the loss of views for some, but stated that formed no basis for rejecting the appeal proposal. That coincides with the position that loss of a view is not a relevant planning objection to a development."

Toby

Lots of very useful advice there - thanks a lot. No need for anyone to worry though - I will still check with the relevent authorities before going ahead.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Dixson

The key thing here is "No one objected" If you get an objection then it has to go to the committee otherwise it can go through "on the nod"

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

They were nomads , co could move their tents to one side to see around the block.

Reply to
IMM

A friend is extending his house to make it a 4 bedroomed job. I said why didn't he buy a new one. Being an accountant he worked it all out. To buy a new house over 200K stamp duty comes in. Then all the fees, etc, and the hassle of moving, the chain and the kids moving school, etc, and the extention is to what he wants as he specified it. He likes where he is and finds it cheaper to pay 50K for an extension. He gave the plans to an estate agent who gave the approx value of the house on completion. He will more than get his 50K back if he sells.

Reply to
IMM