planning permission - objections due to "loss of view"

I am considering the purchase of a house with a mind to demolishing the existing garage to the side of the property and replacing it with a 2 storey extension.
I dont think it will block out anybodys daylight, but it may restrict the view of the opposite houses to the beutiful coutryside behind the extension. However, they would still be able to see some of it through the gap remaining above the neighbour's garage, next to the potential extension (the "gap" would have become half its previous size dues to the new extension).
Does anyone know whether the reduction of someones scenic view in this way would be a valid reason for objection, and whether it might cause the planning applicaiton to be rejected?
Kind regards,
Dave Dixson.

A variation on RTFM is "consult your friendly planning office".
They are the people to ask - they will be able to tell you if they are likely to pass such a scheme, and the things they would not like.
For such a major decision I would not rely on NG responses, however well informed.
Cheers Dave R

Even if it is totally correct planning depts interpret laws differently, or are a law unto themselves.
David W.E. Roberts wrote:

I phoned my local planning office recently and was told that if I sent them a map of the area together with a sketch and description of what I proposed, they'd give me a "probably yes" or "probably no" answer within 10 days at no charge
Nick Brooks
wrote in message

I like it - can we have CYFPO (and its counterpart, CYFBCO) in the FAQ please?

Better yet, get yourself along to their office clutching said sketch. You can usually get far more info out of them face-to-face, and you can often pick up useful vibes or 'off-the-record' remarks which you wouldn't get in a letter or even over the phone.
David
On 7 Apr 2004 13:02:55 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Although CYFLBO (Listed Buildings Officer) might be a bit of an oxymoron.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this

No one has the right to a view. Any objections on that point would be dismissed. You don't have the right to direct sun either, unlike other more civilised countries. Light is a different matter, and even that you not fully entitled to in certain circumstances.

Glad you are not my neighbour!
I dont think anyone will be able to object to loss of view but if the area is listed in any way (AONB for example or national part, it might be a case of refusal because your extension is not in keeping with the nature of the area and development plans in general, ( in other words, the planning dept think it will be an eyesore or it will stick out like a sore thumb somehow.)
You need to ask the planning dept. Might just be they are proposing building a block of flats just behind you to block your view too ( nemesis - too good to be true I guess!)
Buy the property first then see about devoloping it.

See what I mean about NG advice? :-))

That reminds me of when I stayed in a high rise flat belonging to a friend of a friend in Vancouver. She was complaining because another high rise block was being built, obscuring her view. When I said that perhaps the view was spoiled for previous people living there by her block she said no, the only inhabitants in those days were Indians.
Presumably they couldn't see the view anyway ...
Do you live in a transparent house?
Mary

with
view
I live in a bungalow and I dont obscure anyones view of the horison for several miles around!
What I cant understand is why anyone would want to buy a house with a view to extending it - either because they dont like it or because the house is too small for them as it stands, sufficient that they need to extend before they actually get there, then surely it would be more reasonable to find a place that was big enough and that they liked?

I bought a house with the express intention of extending it. It was more economic to buy what we could easily afford and then add on a granny annexe for the mum in law rather than buy a place with one already there.

--
Bill

mich wrote:

Perhaps because house prices are shooting through the roof and if you're not already on the ladder you're stuffed?
I wouldn't be able to get a mortgage on the house I'm in if I was to buy it now, despite the fact my salary has more than doubled in the past 6 years since we bought the house and we didn't get the maximum possible mortgage at the time. And I'm only in a terraced house up north.
--
Dr. Craig Graham, Software Engineer
Advanced Analysis and Integration Limited, UK. http://www.aail.co.uk /

not
A friend is extending his house to make it a 4 bedroomed job. I said why didn't he buy a new one. Being an accountant he worked it all out. To buy a new house over 200K stamp duty comes in. Then all the fees, etc, and the hassle of moving, the chain and the kids moving school, etc, and the extention is to what he wants as he specified it. He likes where he is and finds it cheaper to pay 50K for an extension. He gave the plans to an estate agent who gave the approx value of the house on completion. He will more than get his 50K back if he sells.

buy
the
and
will
So bottom line is to make money? Buy cheaper and sell dearer! Investment.
Doesnt anyone just buy a house to be a home these days? A place they can love, live in and care for without having to think - so what can I do to add value and screw someone into paying me more than I paid for it?
Its bl**dy sad!
mich wrote:

Not really, think of many growing families, they don't want to move but require extra space. Example: Couple in home counties with three growing kids, husband has well paid London job. Maximum mortgage for existing 3 bed house which has good local schools and a friendly atmosphere. The price jump for a nearby 4 bed house is an additional 100k, that's over 400k for a 4 bed house! The only viable way to gain the required space is to extend at a cost of maybe 40k. Then there's also the question of granny as her Alzheimer's takes hold, where can she go?
--
Toby.

why
He built an extension because he lied where he was. If he drew even he still would have done it.

view
Perhaps they aren't as rich as you?
I bought my house with a view to extending it (loft dormer extension). As I bought the current one with a substantial deposit and 4.25x multiple on the mortgage, buying one ready done (at 40K more) was not an option. The cost of the conversion would be 20K, so it would have been quite reasonable to buy it and do the conversion before taking residence, plus you get to choose exactly how it is done, and, also, may get to choose a house in exactly the right location and style that may not be available in the required larger size.
Christian.

Thats an assumption on your part! I am not rich. I am a minimum wage earner. I suspect the original poster has more money on the extension he proposes than I will earn this year.