Garage Extension, is it possible? (Planning Guidlines)

I have a Garage detached from my house and a long drive that runs infront of it along side the side of my house. I have been considering wether or not i could extend the garage by building another garage of the same size infront of it of equal size.

The outer wall of the extension would be running parallel with my nighbours fence however as it is a single story extension and does not breach the boundary it would not change the view dramatically or block light for my neighbour, so i wouldnt anticipate any objections from her.

My question is when building an extension does it have to be a certain distance away from the boundary line?

Reply to
screechyboy

I don't think so, as long as it's built with incombustible materials. Have a word with your local planners - and building inspectors while you're at it. If you go to your local council offices, they should have duty officers (of both sorts) who will give you informal advice to get you started.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The message

from " snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com" contains these words:

It doesn't have to be and if your neighbour doesn't object why should the planners?

What might be an issue is if the new garage is closer to the road than the house and in front of the building line.

Building close to a boundary raises certain building regulations issues but that is another matter.

Reply to
Roger

There is permitted development ... where you can build without permission ... Schedule 2 Part 1 Class E of The Town and Country Planning (General permitted Development) order 1995

This has to be 5m away form house, not in front of building line, non- habitable and no more than 4 m in height, and is used or purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the existing dewllinghouse.

You do need to apply for Building Regs though, and have normal BCO inspections.

I have just built an 8m x 7m garage & boat shed under this ruling.

So if you can meet requirements ... you are OK.

If you cannot meet the guidelines, then you have to apply for planning permission.

Reply to
Osprey

Thanks for the advice chaps!

Reply to