Stained dado rail to painted is it possible?

We inherited a dado rail in our lounge and SWMBO likes the idea of painting it in a colour to contrast the walls. However it is currently stained a mid mahogany is this feasible ?

What would be the preparation rub down with wire wool, under coat and top coat or is there some other method?

Thanks for any tips

Reply to
JD

I don't know what the preferred method is but I've always just glossed over stained wood with just one coat of normal gloss with no problems.

Reply to
Frank

I wouldn't worry unduly about the stain. If it is a glossy varnish, you'll need to rough it up with sandpaper before painting. As it is starting off dark, I would first coat it with a suitable undercoat. I tend to use Glidden Primecoat Acrylic Primer + Undercoat, although the polluting high VOC types will insist you use one made from smelly chemicals instead. I would then finish off by a very quick rubdown with extra-fine paper with an acrylic eggshell/satin or acrylic gloss top coat.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle