Vacuum Cleaner Needed - Numatic?

wrote:

Yes. It works well here.

Didn't even need to do that!

Yes but fancy calling a daughter "Electrolux" :-)

No, we're talking about vacuum cleaners here!

You named you child Dyson?!!?
Have you no shame man
;-^

Same comment as above....no, he's named after a *vacuum cleaner* (Electrolux and Dyson don't qualify). For the avoidance of doubt, and to bring this to an end, he *is* called Henry!
Andy Hall wrote:

She'd be a popular lass as she grew up though.
Quoted in The Times Book of Names, according to a 1999 study by the Royal South Hampshire Hospital in Southampton, the percentage of girls named Sharon and Tracey visiting genito-urinary clinics was half what might be expected by the number of Sharons/Traceys in the population as a whole.
This may of course be because genito-urinary clinics tend not to be located in shopping centres.
The same Book of Names noted that Andrew is the most common name among UK online male gamblers, and Andrews have an average age of 39, average income of 30,000 and are most likely to loive in Yorkshire. They are one-third less likely to live in a bungalow.
(Robert is the most common name among prisoners on death row in Texas.)
Owain

.. or because there are not many in Southampton.

Hmm... I don't fit any of those criteria apart from the last. Mind you, I have always been an individualist.

That's understandable.
Owain wrote:

Stick-on vinyl letters are even cheaper, but you'll need a cylinder model if your kids are called Fifi Trixibelle
I'd recommend the NVQ250 (Henry in a steel case) as it's stronger. Otherwise a Henry.
<snip>

I get mildly annoyed with my Henry, due to the relatively small capacity of the bin, when doing DIY. The visible bit of the bin is taken up quite a lot by the filter. Get the taller one - if you might be using it for more than domestic stuff.
Ian Stirling wrote:

The answer to this is to make yourself a vortex collector. There are various designs on the web.
HTH
Dave

No, it's not. An extra 10cm or so in the barrel of the thing would nearly double the capacity - and still result in something that you can pull along with the hose.

If you are wanting it for carpets and not clearing out your shed, the Miele is the one to go for. It is extremely quiet, brilliantly engineered, and a host of tools for every job. The Cat and Dog is the one to go for, comes complete with 2 turbo brushes, one for small jobs like the car and upholstery the other brushes beats the hell out of the carpet. (ignore the Cat and dog name it gives you the all essential turbo brush) Miele has consistently won best buy in Which reports. The Numatic is fair but noisy and you really need the airo brush to get anything like decent carpet cleaning qualities, which pushes up the price to close to the miele. Even then you will have a 1100w against a 2200w motor.
I strongly recommend finding a dealer to demonstrate you the sophistication of this product, it is a different league to the Henry. In Engineering terms One is Morris Minor the other is BMW.
Froogle for the best price. Target around 156 delivered. Loads of recommendations on acukd&b.

Are you deriding the BMW?
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:21:13 +0000, Robbo wrote:

Doesn't everyone who's owned a recent 3 series?
--
Chris Game

".NET...helps developers deliver a deep and compelling user

Agreed, except I didn't read Which but went into my local dealer with a sound level meter and realised the Miele C&D was way quieter than all the other makes / models in there (and especially quieter than both Dysons and Numatics). At the lower power settings (still perfectly good for most work) it is very quiet indeed.
It has also proven to be pretty tough (accidental trips down uncarpeted stairs etc) and after a couple of years so far (at least) all the lids / doors / flaps / catches are still present and correct and the recoiling cable still does etc ;-)
Since we bought the Miele the DC01 has hardly been used and Henry is reserved for more DIY type work and lives in the garage.
All the best ..
T i m

The Henry will last years, most trades people use them. I have used one to clear bits of broken plaster up. The other expensive makes are just that - you pay for a name. Don't even consider the Dyson, very poor quality reinvention from an expired patent and now made abroad - the company should be forced to give back UK grants paid before sacking workers. To compare prices do what others do - use a price comparison site such as Kelkoo or Pricerunner. Also look at discount codes on hotdealsuk.

As JP suggested, Henrys may be great for that sort of stuff, but Mieles are designed for regular use, ie. carpets and that. You are not just paying for the name - it's built to last.
-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

May I suggest if you do buy the Miele don't use it as a 'wet and dry' as one of our engineers did to a customers and it didn't like it much...(nor did he when we made him pay for the new one....)
Cheers
Richard
P.S had a Dyson which the Mrs absolutely hated. Junked it bought a Henry -she rates it and I loved the price..;-)

Don't try surfing with it also. It is a VACUUM Cleaner. Your engineers must be highly trained. Preferably from a tree.

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:34:51 -0000, bronco wrote:

I wonder how much that has to do with them being fairly small, light and not overly noisy.

I use an Earlex wet 'n dry thing for that. Much bigger bin, you can take a stiff brush the the filter, and at half the price of a Henry very good value. It is heavier, bigger and a lot more noisey though.
A Henry type with the aero brush mentioned may be OK but for general household use on carpets etc I much prefer an upright.

Our DC04 is OK but it is a British built one. It certainly out preforms any other upright I have had.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail