Vacuum Cleaner Needed - Numatic?

As JP suggested, Henrys may be great for that sort of stuff, but Mieles are designed for regular use, ie. carpets and that. You are not just paying for the name - it's built to last.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

You choose the one named the same as a convenient small child, and get all the vacuuming done for free by aforesaid small child who is delighted at having a "toy" with his/her name on it.

Changing child's name by deed poll is not expensive compared to a lifetime's cleaning.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

After MUCH research we ended up with a Sebo. Around £200 but well made and does a good job.

Reply to
Roger Cain

The answer to this is to make yourself a vortex collector. There are various designs on the web.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave

May I suggest if you do buy the Miele don't use it as a 'wet and dry' as one of our engineers did to a customers and it didn't like it much...(nor did he when we made him pay for the new one....)

Cheers

Richard

P.S had a Dyson which the Mrs absolutely hated. Junked it bought a Henry -she rates it and I loved the price..;-)

Reply to
r.bartlett

I have just finished from a job as site supervisor at a school.

We had 3 Sebo's and a Numatic George (shampoo version). In the 3 years I was there, the only problems were...

The George shampoo pump failed (it had been used for several years before.)

George again failed when I had to suck up water with it after a flood in a classroom. It turned out to be the internal overload, die once switch/fuse.

All in all, I was very impressed with George. It took care of all that the nursery threw at it (rice/sand/seeds and everything else you can think of that a nursery teacher would provide for the children with no regard for the poor cleaner. It also did all the carpet shampoo work during the summer clean.

If it looks like being too good to be true, it always is.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I wonder how much that has to do with them being fairly small, light and not overly noisy.

I use an Earlex wet 'n dry thing for that. Much bigger bin, you can take a stiff brush the the filter, and at half the price of a Henry very good value. It is heavier, bigger and a lot more noisey though.

A Henry type with the aero brush mentioned may be OK but for general household use on carpets etc I much prefer an upright.

Our DC04 is OK but it is a British built one. It certainly out preforms any other upright I have had.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, it's not. An extra 10cm or so in the barrel of the thing would nearly double the capacity - and still result in something that you can pull along with the hose.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Yes. It works well here.

Didn't even need to do that!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes but fancy calling a daughter "Electrolux" :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, we're talking about vacuum cleaners here!

Reply to
Bob Eager

She'd be a popular lass as she grew up though.

Quoted in The Times Book of Names, according to a 1999 study by the Royal South Hampshire Hospital in Southampton, the percentage of girls named Sharon and Tracey visiting genito-urinary clinics was half what might be expected by the number of Sharons/Traceys in the population as a whole.

This may of course be because genito-urinary clinics tend not to be located in shopping centres.

The same Book of Names noted that Andrew is the most common name among UK online male gamblers, and Andrews have an average age of 39, average income of £30,000 and are most likely to loive in Yorkshire. They are one-third less likely to live in a bungalow.

(Robert is the most common name among prisoners on death row in Texas.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You named you child Dyson?!!?

Have you no shame man

;-^

Reply to
Robbo

Are you deriding the BMW?

Reply to
Robbo

Agreed, except I didn't read Which but went into my local dealer with a sound level meter and realised the Miele C&D was way quieter than all the other makes / models in there (and especially quieter than both Dysons and Numatics). At the lower power settings (still perfectly good for most work) it is very quiet indeed.

It has also proven to be pretty tough (accidental trips down uncarpeted stairs etc) and after a couple of years so far (at least) all the lids / doors / flaps / catches are still present and correct and the recoiling cable still does etc ;-)

Since we bought the Miele the DC01 has hardly been used and Henry is reserved for more DIY type work and lives in the garage.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Same comment as above....no, he's named after a *vacuum cleaner* (Electrolux and Dyson don't qualify). For the avoidance of doubt, and to bring this to an end, he *is* called Henry!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Kinky

:)

Reply to
Matt

Don't try surfing with it also. It is a VACUUM Cleaner. Your engineers must be highly trained. Preferably from a tree.

Reply to
JP

.. or because there are not many in Southampton.

Hmm... I don't fit any of those criteria apart from the last. Mind you, I have always been an individualist.

That's understandable.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Doesn't everyone who's owned a recent 3 series?

Reply to
Chris Game