Today I learned ...

...the hard way, that you can't vacuum laser toner with a wet & dry hoover.
An old laser printer, unused for months and stored in the loft, didn't print properly when pressed back into service. I guessed the toner had got damp, and figured I'd hoover it all out and replace with new toner.
Job done, I thought, after a couple of minutes with an Earlex combi-vac, until I turned around to see the super-fine toner had passed right through the filter and out of the exhaust port, forming a perfectly circular black nipple on the kitchen unit door behind me, surrounded by a perfectly graded grey-scale aureole of toner over the entire wall. There was even a cat shaped silhouette on the window courtesy of my (originally pure white) Persian audience.
(The chapter entitled "I've bathed the cat, you pillock, pass the plasters", has been omitted for brevity).
Suffice it to say that the kitchen is now gleaming like a new pin, neither the cat nor the wife are speaking to me, and I'm now absolutely aware of the price of a new toner cartridge, compared to the cost of vertical blinds.
The printer works fine though ....
--
Keith

My drawers will never dry!
Mary
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:47:45 +0000, Keith wrote:

==============================You should refine and patent the technique. Silhouettes used to be a popular art form.
Cic.
--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Put me in mind of the Mr Bean episode, where Bean tried to paint his room by putting a firework in a pot of paint in the middle of the room. He ended up with a person shaped silhouette on one wall, caused by a visitor who couldn't escape fast enough!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Roger Mills wrote:

Having worked on laser printers I know that it is important to use special vacs to clean them. The toner is rather unhealthy, knowing the company I worked for I am certain that they would not have supplied special vacs if it had not been essential.
Keith wrote:

Nice one.. LOL!
(Isn't toner supposed to be carcinogenic? Hope you held your breath)
--
Cheers,

John.

That reminds me of someone at work shaking up the bottle of toner before refilling the photocopier - only trouble was he'd already opened the lid and he absolutely covered himslf, the copier and the carpet in just a couple of shakes.
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:06:57 +0000, OG wrote:

And that reminds me of someone at work getting some toner from the print room to refill the xerox .... you're way ahead of me - yes: he used liquid toner!
Keith wrote:

That's why printer/copier engineers have special toner vacs e.g http://www.convac.co.uk/vacuum.htm