Gas fire won't light

My mothers "Living flame" gas fire won't light.
It has a remote control to switch it on and off but when you try to light it, the pilot lights, and after about 10 secconds, a succession of beeps comes from the fire and the pilot shuts down without lighting the fire.
The fire is a Verine model. There is no thermocouple. I think flame ignition is detected by the igniting electrodes (which work fine for lighting the pilot light).
I'm guessing the beeps are a fault signal. Anyone know what these beeps mean?
Tim
On 14 Jan 2007 02:27:06 -0800 someone who may be "Tim"
Then there will be some sort of optical detection of the pilot light flame.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
David Hansen wrote:

In which case the detector may be sooty and need cleaning.
Dave
gort wrote:

Doh! Had a closer look and there is a thermocouple> I'm not convinced that it is the cause of the problem because the fire starts beeping as soon as the pilot lights, too soon for it to be registering a thermocouple problem (I think).
I suspect it's just a low battery but I have to order that (a 7.2 v lithium battery pack)
Thanks anyway.
Tim

| |gort wrote: |> David Hansen wrote: |> |> > On 14 Jan 2007 02:27:06 -0800 someone who may be "Tim"
I work on the principle of "if in doubt do the easiest cheapest thing first", so I would change the thermocouple.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
wrote this:-

I would normally but the stupid design of the fire means that I have to disassemble the whole ruddy thing to get at the connections. The battery pack is easy to replace.
I was just hoping someone knew what the beeps meant.
Tim
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:02:38 -0000, "Tim Downie"

--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
wrote:> I was just hoping someone knew what the beeps meant.

Easier said than done. It's a 7.2v lithium battery pack that not even the makers of the fire have in stock at the moment. Managed at long last to get in touch with them and they have confirmed that the reperated beeps do indeed mean a battery voltage too low to operate.
The battery pack is about the size of two "D" cells side by side with a connecting lead. Anyone know if this is an item common to other appliances? Anyone know where I might be able to get one?
Tim

You could try BatteriesPlus.co.uk It sound as if you need something like http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/CR_P2___DL223A__223__K223L__CR_V6_P__NP_L7__CRP2.html but a bit bigger. I can't actually see it on their website - but there's no harm in asking them.
--
Cheers,
Roger

http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/CR_P2___DL223A__223__K223L__CR_V6_P__NP_L7__CRP2.html
Could try here but they are merkins:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID135
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
Bob Mannix wrote:

Can't get that link to work.

That seems to be a rechargeable battery. The one in my mother's fire is a non-rechargeable one. (Sorry, I should have specified). It's a bit confusing as lithium is used in both types. Is the a special name for the non-rechargeables?
Although the fire could use rechargeables, I don't think my mother would cope well with having to fiddle with batteries on a regular basis. A long life lithium battery really does make more sense for her.
Tim

Funny - nor can I, now! In that case, just go to http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/ and look in the camera battery section.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Hi,
Go to rswww.com and search for 'lithium d'
If there's space 3 or 4x alkaline d's would be a LOT cheaper.
cheers, Pete.

Surely need at least 5 to make at least 7.2V?
Tim
Tim Downie wrote:

'Primary cell' is the technical term

Indeed. Sorry, cant help. Only non rechargeables I have come across are in watches and cameras..a button cell or a two button cell thing.
You COULD try a camera shop.

Tim Downie wrote:

Lithium rechargeable?..usually 8.4v for 2 cells
www.overlander.co.uk OTOH idf its a custom jobby with a built in protection circuit like a mobile phone battery, pass.

I think they usually use the ionisation of the flame to pass a small current from the ignition electrode.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 02:27:06 -0800, Tim wrote:

What does the book say? I strongly suspect a sequencer which is failing at the flame detection (electronic) stage.